5 gallon betta project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, i have a tinnnnny betta in a 1 gallon bowl right now, and he needs a better home! I have an extra Tetra pf10 HOB filter rated for 5-10 gallons and an Aqueon mini 10w heater rated for up to 5 gallons (that's in with the betta now), but no container. A 5-ish gallon something is what im looking for to make sure the heater works adequately. I'd like to do a 5ish gallon vase/aquarium/whateverlooksnice that's lightly planted, black sand/gravel, and maybe with 1-2 cherry shrimp in it. On to the questions:

1: Is a betta, plants, and some shrimp too much to healthily have for such a tiny 5g space?

2.1: The pf10 is coming from an already established 15g tank that also has another aquaclear30 on it. The pf10 has been on there for about 2 months, and the aqua clear for about 1 month. By taking the pf10, with its filter media intact, and placing it onto the new 5g container, will that essentially instant cycle the 5g since most BB is in the filter media?

2.2: Would the aquaclear30 that's been on the 15g for a month have enough BB to biologically filter the 15g alright by itself?

3: I've never had live plants, so what plants could possibly work in the 5g setup?

It's a lot to ask, i know, so sorry for the bombardment!

I can answer one question for you. A betta, plants and shrimp should be ok. The plants will benifit the aquarium, so that is good as well as providing cover. Some bettas will pick on shrimp, so some people reccomend trying something cheap first like ghost shrimp, to make sure your betta won't eat them. Cherry shrimp are small, and produce very little ammonia so shouldn't be to bad. I personally think you would be fine with that. Just make sure your water parameters are ok, and change water reguarly to keep on top of it (Which I am sure you already do :) )

Sorry, I can't help on the plants or cycling etc, I will leave that for someone with more experience on those subjects :)

Hope this helps

Thanks cherrybarb, you've helped plenty and responded so quickly too. I think I can spare a ghost from the 15 to test that out (still love those ghosts though, they rock... Hope he makes it). I'll take a look at target or something to see if they have anything adequate container-wise.

Thanks cherrybarb, you've helped plenty and responded so quickly too. I think I can spare a ghost from the 15 to test that out (still love those ghosts though, they rock... Hope he makes it). I'll take a look at target or something to see if they have anything adequate container-wise.

No Problem :) I hope the shrimp work :)

College Kid said:
So, i have a tinnnnny betta in a 1 gallon bowl right now, and he needs a better home! I have an extra Tetra pf10 HOB filter rated for 5-10 gallons and an Aqueon mini 10w heater rated for up to 5 gallons (that's in with the betta now), but no container. A 5-ish gallon something is what im looking for to make sure the heater works adequately. I'd like to do a 5ish gallon vase/aquarium/whateverlooksnice that's lightly planted, black sand/gravel, and maybe with 1-2 cherry shrimp in it. On to the questions:

1: Is a betta, plants, and some shrimp too much to healthily have for such a tiny 5g space?

2.1: The pf10 is coming from an already established 15g tank that also has another aquaclear30 on it. The pf10 has been on there for about 2 months, and the aqua clear for about 1 month. By taking the pf10, with its filter media intact, and placing it onto the new 5g container, will that essentially instant cycle the 5g since most BB is in the filter media?

2.2: Would the aquaclear30 that's been on the 15g for a month have enough BB to biologically filter the 15g alright by itself?

3: I've never had live plants, so what plants could possibly work in the 5g setup?

It's a lot to ask, i know, so sorry for the bombardment!

Good on you for getting a bigger home! :)

1: a Betta some shrimp and some snails are perfect for a 5g tank. Plants are very beneficial to a tank. They consume nitrate and help oxygenate the water.

2.1: the pf10 should instantly cycle the 5g. You will need to keep a close eye on it for a couple of weeks just to make sure but I don't see you encountering any problems.

2.2: the AC30 should be fine. A month I a good amount of time for the bacteria to build up. As with the 5g keep an eye on water conditions for a couple of weeks just I make sure.

3: plants will depend on your setup. Lighting is a big factor. Some low lights plants that will fit nicely in 5g are java ferns, anubias and moss. All three are nearly indestructible IME.
What kind if light do you have?

Hey mumma. I've read some of your posts on other threads and you've got great info. I'm actually browsing target, Walmart and other stores for an interesting 5gish container now. No light for the 5g, just a desk lamp since its probly gonna go on my desk. Therefore, low light plants is a must if im going the planted route.

Ended up with a 5.5g with anubias and some bamboo. No "daylight" bulb yet for the desk lamp. As far as I can tell, the only markings on the bulb I am using is 13w 120v 60Hz 175mA... So nothing marked "K". Will this bulb suffice? At least for now?

Also here's a pic of the setup

Attachments

• image-432425702.jpg
    image-432425702.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 95
Mumma.of.two said:
While your out pick up a cfl for your desk lamp. Make sure it's rated 5000-6700k or 'daylight'. That's the right spectrum for plants.

Actually, I just realized I had another unused lamp. This one is rated 6400k, but has this almost frosted plastic covering on it. Should I take it off or will leavin it on not matter?

Attachments

• image-2939538477.jpg
    image-2939538477.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 76
College Kid said:
Ended up with a 5.5g with anubias and some bamboo. No "daylight" bulb yet for the desk lamp. As far as I can tell, the only markings on the bulb I am using is 13w 120v 60Hz 175mA... So nothing marked "K". Will this bulb suffice? At least for now?

Also here's a pic of the setup

That is a tiny betta

College Kid said:
Actually, I just realized I had another unused lamp. This one is rated 6400k, but has this almost frosted plastic covering on it. Should I take it off or will leavin it on not matter?

Probably best to take it off if you can safely.
Is that lucky bamboo in the tank? It isn't an aquatic plant. You can keep it in a tank but the leaves have to be above the water.

Ill make sure to takw the cover off when i get back. Not sure what specific type of bamboo, but it was kept completely submerged at Petco and told to me that they can be submerged as long as the root system is firmly in the substrate, so more insight from you guys would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom