5 gallon filter breakdown and replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, yesterday I woke up to a dead filter in my 5 gallon. Don't know what the cause was, but it was toast. It was old, so I didn't feel too bad about replacing it. I got a tetra whisper filter for a 2-10 gallon tank. I put it in, but I realized it's much too powerful. It pumps 85 gallons per hour, which makes 17x tank circulation per hour!!! My neon tetra (okay, please don't lecture me about how neons are supposed to be kept in 10 gallons, I didn't know. And I know they school, the rest died) won't go to the side of the tank the filter is on now because it's too hard for him to swim. I'm wondering what I can do. I've heard of putting in a filter baffle to reduce surface current, but there isn't much surface current, just a powerful flow on that side of the tank. I really don't like this because I am getting a betta in this tank. I'm now wondering about tetra's whisper filter for a 1-3 gallon tank. I know mine is a 5, but considering they said an 85 gph filter was OK for a 2 gallon, I might be surprised. Does anyone know something about this filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom