5 Gallon "kitchen" planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a planted tank in my kitchen. :) it will have 1 standard 10 w 5,000 k compact fluorescent bulb, gravel, seachems root tabs, 50 w heater, whisper 10 filter (M,) and I will use excel liquid co2. I also will alternate between API Plant food and seachems flourish. (flourish on Sundays and API plant food on Thursday) here's the starting pic. Of course the airstone will come out. That was for the sake of the cycle.

img_2326684_0_d065fa1a0cefbc6ac885c60b0fa04ddb.jpg

I'm headed out to get some things for this tank. I'll post a picture of any updates tonight! Also, thinking the stock will be a male crown tail Betta. Any suggestions are welcome. There are a few ghost shrimp in there right now.

Thanks guys! Leaving now to head to petsmart. :)

It's a start. :) I can't wait till it fills in. Any suggestions for low light foreground plants?

img_2327000_0_398f0290ddc63250f8799f80cbce43b8.jpg

img_2327000_1_0a5480dca1ff82589f8135d0eee25320.jpg

All personal preference but that red bridge is killing me lol. I was thinking of a nice all natural tank but hey! Your tank so please don't mind me. Tank looks great anyway!! And still following!! (y)

All personal preference but that red bridge is killing me lol. I was thinking of a nice all natural tank but hey! Your tank so please don't mind me. Tank looks great anyway!! And still following!! (y)

Lol. I'm the same way. I don't like the ornaments. But the boyfriend liked it and he doesn't pay much attention to my tanks so I let him put it in there. I'm thinking about putting it in a planted tank I have with black sand and a gorgeous red and black halfmoon Betta. I think it would work better in that tank. Thanks for the compliments. :) what would you put as kind of a centerpiece decoration? I love the look of dw but I don't like all of the tannins they put in the water and I'm not a big fan of the fake wood ornaments. I'm always totally open to suggestions and constructive criticism. :) I'm thinking about going to lowes or home depot to see if maybe I can put together something a little better as far as lights go.

If it was me I'd do a nice piece of driftwood. You can soak it before hand so it won't "dirty" up the water but I think a really nice piece would look awesome. Just my opinion. And.... Tell the boyfriend to get his own tank.

I actually like the little red bridge :) it looks like its over top a stream with the way you have the blue rocks arrange going toward it :D

Just want to be clear. I'm not knocking the OP's tank just giving my thoughts on it. Beauty is in the eye of father beholder and either way its beautiful tank (y)

I think that dw would look nice in the middle. I soaked my mopani for 1 and a half weeks in a bucket changing water every day and it didnt discolor the water. Then in think an Anubis on or behind a low part of the dw would look nice. What fishy are you getting???

If you are keeping it relatively low light, look into marsilea as a foreground.

Thanks! I will do some research, as I've never heard of it. Is it fairly common?

Its very cool! Following along as well!

Thank you, Dan!

I think that dw would look nice in the middle. I soaked my mopani for 1 and a half weeks in a bucket changing water every day and it didnt discolor the water. Then in think an Anubis on or behind a low part of the dw would look nice. What fishy are you getting???

Thanks! I may do that. My lfs has good small pieces of dw. How much water did you change in the bucket every day? I'll also look into the Anubis. :) I'm thinking about a male crown tail Betta or a double tail. My options are limited since it's only 5 gallons. Any suggestions? I have 2 other planted tanks with different kinds of bettas, so I'm not stuck on that idea.

I had it sitting in the bathtub and the tub was probbablly 5 gallons(my dw was about 10in. Long) and every day I just took the dw out, emptied all the water, and filled it up again. Try way I knew when t was fine is because every day the water started to become less yellow. When it was clear I put it in. I think a dwarf puffer would be nice! Or a school of galaxy rasbora, or a scarlet badis, or some Pygmy Cory's. not sure if this is overstocking but 4 Pygmy Cory's and 5 galaxy rasboras would be amazing

I had it sitting in the bathtub and the tub was probbablly 5 gallons(my dw was about 10in. Long) and every day I just took the dw out, emptied all the water, and filled it up again. Try way I knew when t was fine is because every day the water started to become less yellow. When it was clear I put it in. I think a dwarf puffer would be nice! Or a school of galaxy rasbora, or a scarlet badis, or some Pygmy Cory's. not sure if this is overstocking but 4 Pygmy Cory's and 5 galaxy rasboras would be amazing

Thanks! I would love to have something other than a Betta! I don't know much about stocking tanks this size. I love the galaxy rasbora. I did some reading and I think they'll work in this tank. liveaquaria says that the minimum tank size for the scarlet badis is 10 gallons. I LOVE any kind of cories and I think Pygmy cories are something I'd enjoy. I've also been wanting a dwarf puffer for a long time, but I've heard that they like to uproot plants though. Is that true? The possibilities are endless. :)

I picked up a male crown tail Betta this evening. I can't help rescuing them from those tiny cups! I also got some supplies to make me an ornament for this tank. :) I'll post pics of everything when it's done!

I think I have finished my new ornament. It's more what I wanted. I'm setting up a 10 gallon specifically for the bridge. Lol.

img_2338352_0_d7341cb3b2f0b1c03489039b0331c9be.jpg

img_2338352_1_1f8b861d4081587ec8bb9022da223861.jpg

img_2338352_2_322f9fbf76ce78e12ed334bec3bd0960.jpg

Back
Top Bottom