5 gallon need help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duston4567

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a 5 gallon tank and I need help on deciding what kind if fish should go in it! I would like to have more than one fish and maybe a Cory catfish. Please help!!!!

Neon Tetras
Guppies
Mollies
Your not going to be able to fit too many fish in a 5.5 gallon tank.

I'm not sure a Cory cat fish will be happy with a 5 gallon tank. They're bottom feeders so they need a a lot of open space. You could probably get away with a couple of tetras, glow fish, platties, guppies, dwarf frogs, or ghost shrimp. You could probably get away with 3-4 fish (depending on size) and maybe a couple shrimp or frogs. It all depends on size of the fish, shape of the tank, and how much decor you're putting in there.

DreD said:
I'm not sure a Cory cat fish will be happy with a 5 gallon tank. They're bottom feeders so they need a a lot of open space. You could probably get away with a couple of tetras, glow fish, platties, guppies, dwarf frogs, or ghost shrimp. You could probably get away with 3-4 fish (depending on size) and maybe a couple shrimp or frogs. It all depends on size of the fish, shape of the tank, and how much decor you're putting in there.

I want to put live plants but nothing cluttered I just want some colorful fish and have some movement in the tank

If you're going for color then I suggest the guppies and glow fish. I've never had glow fish, but they look very cool in darker lighting! Almost like they're really glowing. The only problem you might have is breeding. I'm not familiar with glow fish breeding, but guppies have babies like nobodies business. Usually they'll get eaten, die from being attacked, or sucked into the filter. There's a small chance they'll live and overcrowd your tank. Also with breeding in that small of a tank the water can get pretty nasty quick, so if you pick guppies get a good filter :) hoped this helped

Look at white cloud danios or nano rasboras. They are small for a small tank.

Corys are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of six or more, way too many for a 5 gal.

Glow fish are a genetically modified zebra danio and will grow too large for a 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom