5 Gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i was wondering if anybody could help me get started with a small saltwater tank .. This will be my first saltwater aquarium and im making it for my daughter she just turned 2 months but she loves staring at my freshwater aquarium at night so i wanted to make her one especialy for her and i thought that for my first tank i should start small

In a 5 gallon you'll be limited to almost only inverts and corals. If you'd like to keep fish I'd reccomend upgrading to atleast a 10 but a 20 long is a great starting tank. Do you know if you want a reef or fowlr (fish only with live rock)?

Clown fish get too big and need too much room. You could get a clown goby and thats the only fish you could get...

But i seen that some get only about 5" inches long so a 10 gallon would do best

Yes 10 is the smallest I would go if you want fish which it also doubles your water volume keeping levels more stable especially salinity level which can fluctuate very quickly from evaporation in just 5 gallons of water.

Oh evaporation is not one of my problems i keep my aquariums in a cool room away from windows

So once i buy that aquarium it comes with HOB power filter heater and light what material do i need cause i might just buy all the equipement first then the tank

I have a 5 gallon pico reef I am just starting. It's finally done cycling and I have started stocking it.

First off, do you want to have coral or just a fish? For a fowlr (fish only with live rock). You will need the following:

I'm going to assume you are going with a 10 gal.

•A tank.

If you want a clownfish you need at the bare minimum a 10 gallon. But you have to research the type of clown you will buy because I believe some get larger than others.

•Live rock!

10-20 lbs for a 10 gal.

This will be your main form of filtration. I know it seems strange to not have a filter for the tank like you have on freshwater tanks, but that's the way it works for saltwater! I have a small HOB filter on my pico reef. Guess what is in it. Not a filter cartridge but live rock rubble! The only reason I'm using the HOB filter is because I need water flow- which brings me to the next thing you will need-

•Power heads!

You will need to have power heads to create water flow in your tank. You want the water to be flowing all over the place in there. It is to keep the water moving around the live rock and so that you have movement/turbulence at the surface to promote gas exchange. Plus sea creatures come from the ocean and they need the current so they feel at home. :)

•Oh! Sand!

You can buy live sand which usually isn't really live. There are lots of different sands you can use.

•Heater

You want to keep the water at the proper temperature.

•Hydrometer or refractometer

This will measure your salinity. Go with the refractometer if you can. They are alot more accurate.

•Thermometer

Self explanatory

•Saltwater mix

There are different brands you can pick from.

•Fish Food

Also self explanatory. :)

•A lid

Not necessary but helps cut down on evaporation.

•a light

Doesn't matter what kind unless you want coral.

•A SALTWATER TEST KIT

This way you can cycle your tank and keep it healthy for your livestock.

Hopefully this helps you get started!!

Yes thank you so i dont need a filter wow .. Like you said i think om gonna keep it for extra water flow and is there a website that sells and ship power heads live rocks hydrometer and saltwater test kits

Precious_Scarface said:
Yes thank you so i dont need a filter wow .. Like you said i think om gonna keep it for extra water flow and is there a website that sells and ship power heads live rocks hydrometer and saltwater test kits

Amazon has power heads, hydrometers, and saltwater tests.

Others will know better where to buy liverock online. Sometimes people sell it on Craigslist too.

So what do you think ??
Power head - 30$
Refrometer - 30$
Tester kit - 30$
Live rock - 50$
Sand - 50$
Tank - 80$
Fish - 50$

You'll prolly end up needing to spend more than $50 for live rock especially if your doing a 20g tank. Remember you will need at least 1 pound of rock per gallon of water. Everything else looks about right.

Wait..... What about lighting costs?? If this is going to be a reef tank your lighting cost will differ greatly then if it was just going to be a FOWLR tank.

Back
Top Bottom