5 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a cycled 5 gallon Fluval Chi that I just moved some fish out of. I had two female guppies in there, but I moved them to my 10 gallon community. I was leaning towards a betta for the chi, but I am still not sure. Any ideas?
Thank You!

A betta would benefit more from a tank that was longer, so they aren't my favorite pick for a Chi. I would go with very small nano fish, like mosquito rasbora(boraras brigittae).

Yeah, you could do a school of the smaller rasbora species, or some shrimp. I've been thinking of doing a 5g opae ula tank(a hawaiian shrimp). They're brackish, but cool. Or try some RCS and snails.

--Adeeb

siva said:
A betta would benefit more from a tank that was longer, so they aren't my favorite pick for a Chi. I would go with very small nano fish, like mosquito rasbora(boraras brigittae).

I like them! My problem is that I can never find them at my local fish stores. Are there any other common names for them that they might be called?

adeebm said:
Yeah, you could do a school of the smaller rasbora species, or some shrimp. I've been thinking of doing a 5g opae ula tank(a hawaiian shrimp). They're brackish, but cool. Or try some RCS and snails.

--Adeeb

Is it possible to have a small school of nano fish and RCS?

They are also called chili rasboras. You could definitely do a top dwelling nano fish like chili rasboras with RCS.

siva said:
They are also called chili rasboras. You could definitely do a top dwelling nano fish like chili rasboras with RCS.

Ok, thanks! :) I will make a trip to a few of my local fish stores tomorrow and see what I can find. I they have good new or RCS I will get a few. Is that the only type of nano fish?

Those are one of the smaller micro rasboras, which I really prefer for the Chi. Boraras merah I believe is another one that's real tiny. With the dimensions of the tank, I just don't think it's ideal for most fish. I can't think of any other schooler I would put in there. I think you could probably do one scarlet badis as a centerpiece fish in there as well.

siva said:
Those are one of the smaller micro rasboras, which I really prefer for the Chi. Boraras merah I believe is another one that's real tiny. With the dimensions of the tank, I just don't think it's ideal for most fish. I can't think of any other schooler I would put in there. I think you could probably do one scarlet badis as a centerpiece fish in there as well.

Do you mean the scarlet badis in addition to the small school of chili rasboras and RCS? Oh and how many chilis?

Yes. The school will swim top-mid and the scarlet badis will hang down lower in the tank. And they stay very small, not much more than an inch. I'd say 8 of the chili.

siva said:
Yes. The school will swim top-mid and the scarlet badis will hang down lower in the tank. And they stay very small, not much more than an inch. I'd say 8 of the chili.

Wow! 8 chillis!! How big do they get?
EDIT: nevermind, just noticed that you meant them when you said about an inch.

Are there any other names for scarlet badis? I guess my region has different names for fish? Lol

Yes sorry..they are dario dario.

No actually I meant the dario dario get not much more than an inch, but the chilis top out at about an inch, but are just tiny little skinny things. Hence the name mosquito rasboras..they're really not much bigger than a mosquito. I keep many species of small fish and they are by far the smallest.

siva said:
Yes sorry..they are dario dario.

No actually I meant the dario dario get not much more than an inch, but the chilis top out at about an inch, but are just tiny little skinny things. Hence the name mosquito rasboras..they're really not much bigger than a mosquito. I keep many species of small fish and they are by far the smallest.

Ok thanks, I'll update after I got to my fish stores

I only went to one store today and had no luck, I will probably end up ordering online.
How many chili rasboras?

With chillis IMO you could get away with six or eight. They're tiny, I couldn't find the one the LFS had sneaked into my bag of tetras until I fished them all out one by one.

Wont the Scarlet Badis be outcompeted for food by the Chillis?

Back
Top Bottom