5 gallon Tank Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I've been looking in to getting a 5 gallon fish tank for the bookshelf in my room. A five gallon (approx. 18.5x9x13 in) is really all that will fit in the little nook I have. However, before I actually buy the tank/receive one from a friend upgrading to a 10 gallon, I'd like to figure out what fish I'd stock in it. Hence this question. After searching the web for a while I've devised these possible combinations and would like to bring their viability into question. (Obviously ,for all of these the tank will require a heater + filter and regular cleanings along with hidey holes and possible live (or fake) plants)
Well, here goes nothing:
~ 2 endler's (male) + 2 fancy guppies (male) (no babies!)
~ 2 fancy guppies (male) + 1 Pygmy gourami (male)
~ 1 female betta + 2 fancy guppies (male) (I've read that female bettas can be just as aggressive as males, but can do nicely with guppies regardless of their flowing fins if introduced last/ well to the tank)
~ 3 fancy guppies (male) (no babies!)
~ 1 female betta + 3 endler's (male) (I've read that considering the speed of endler's they're less likely to become lunch)
If it weren't evident I'm a fan of bright colors and would prefer those over plain fish. I would greatly appreciate if that were taken into account when offering suggestions. :flowers:

Any of these sound fine. You can always add some cherry or ghost shrimp to these stocks too. They don't add much to the bioload. In regards to the Betta, it may or may not work out. It really depends on the temperament of the Betta. If you go with the Betta make sure you have another small tank or bowl just in case something goes wrong. I have had a Betta and a Cory live together and they were fine. Bettas are lovely but they can be a little crazy. I've heard of Bettas living with their tank mates for a long time and then just turning on them one day for no reason. I think you could definably give it a shot with a Betta I just want to let you know the risks. :)

If you do go with the Betta, DO NOT introduce the Betta first. Put the Betta in last and it is less likely to new the other fish as intruders.

Best wishes on your new tank, I hope this helped.

You could do a species tank and have a school of celestial pearl danios or some red crystal shrimp.

I had two female betas two Cory cats and a male blue gourami. The red beta was aggressive and made the white beta and the blue gourami timid and hide at the bottom. The red aggressive beta never bothered the Cory cats. I ended up moving the red beta to another tank. The white beta and the blue gourami got along just fine after that. I also added two black skirt tetras with the white beta and the Cory's because the white beta is very nice, we named her angle. I tried putting the tetras with the gourami and he tried to kill them. It really depends on the temperament of the fish itself. But I think exposing the white beta and the blue gourami to the red beta that made them timid, once the red beta was removed I believe the other fish had a sense of stress relief and it made them more docile. I have the blue gourami and the red beta in a 10 gal and its just enough space for them to claim territory. Just make sure you have another tank to put them in if they start acting up. I didn't know any better as it was my first set up. But I would never recommend putting a pair of fish, I would stick with either one or 3+ because a pair will establish a pecking order and one will constantly get picked on.

Back
Top Bottom