5 Jewel Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok y'all, I have 2 red jewel cichlids in my 75 with my peacocks and want to move them to my 30 to do a monospecies tank. I want a few turquoise jewels too. At least 2. I was told by a guy at my LFS to keep and odd amount. In your EXPERIENCE, NOT opinion, is 5 too many for a 30? I have seen someone have a 55 with 12+ jewels so it wouldn't seem like 5 was too many.

I want my 30 to be a 1 species only aquarium. I either want 5 of one species or 1 of some type of cichlid that is more on the aggressive side that can grow out fully in the 30 gallon. I do not like mbunas. I need the fish I put in the 30 to hold it's own next to a snow white lobster but without killing it either. Also, the fish needs to take live food, frozen and pellets.

I like very colorful fish, red being my favorite. Jewels seem to fit the bill in my eyes but if you have personal experience, (again, NOT JUST YOUR OPINION), feedback/suggestions are highly appreciated.

The hubby wants his green terror he's been wanting for awhile but needs to get a few fish out of his tank. So, I told him I would take his red jewels if they can live in my 30 and I can get some turquoise jewels to go with them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make sure you buy the jewels red. They will not change color dramatically! If they are brownish, they are female and will never be very red.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My jewels are the opposite the female is a lot prettier than the male. They are usually both dull except when their mating.

Both of mine color up nicely every now and then but have never mated. The male just is a deeper red and the female is almost a pinkish orange

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My male has red fins but his body is almost a red grey. My female is bright orange/red. I just noticed eggs in their tank today. I just removed their fry a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom