50g Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GuppyLover said:
Aw thats a shame :( This is my first planted tank and I'm really liking it so far. I heard some people have had some success keeping plants with Oscars, have you tried it??

I've tried plastic and within 2 hrs they're torn to bits!

boadams87 said:
I've tried plastic and within 2 hrs they're torn to bits!

Oh wow, it has to be so hard to decorate with them. I really want to get some oscars, they seem like such neat, personable fish!

GuppyLover said:
Oh wow, it has to be so hard to decorate with them. I really want to get some oscars, they seem like such neat, personable fish!

Oh its very hard but I love them, so much fun! Especially once a mth when I feed them feeder fish!!!!

Boadams87, whats the minimum tank size for a oscar??

So got some new pics of the mystery plant today!! I love it :)

ForumRunner_20120214_153339.jpg

ForumRunner_20120214_153421.jpg

ForumRunner_20120214_153451.jpg

ForumRunner_20120214_153511.jpg

ForumRunner_20120214_153536.jpg

So I ran out and grabbed some ammonia and came home to my test kit on my door step! I was all excited so I ran up and tested the water in my 20g, well the nitrate test came out totally clear and I am behind on my pwc. How is that possible??

GuppyLover said:
So I ran out and grabbed some ammonia and came home to my test kit on my door step! I was all excited so I ran up and tested the water in my 20g, well the nitrate test came out totally clear and I am behind on my pwc. How is that possible??

Did I really shake bottle #2 up good? U need to really bang it on countertop it has a powder in it that has to be really shaken good.

Agreed! The nitrate test is a bit finicky- i shake & bang both bottles for a full min or two. Then, after you add the first drops, really shake the tube for min before adding the second drops & then really shake the tube again for another min! Do you have plants in your 20g?

Thanks guys!! I only shook it up for like 5 seconds. Really shook it and my test came out between 20 and 40. It's not planted. It still has the ugly premade ornaments from when I first bought it, while the 50g is cycling I plan on totally remodeling it to planted.

Okay so I think I'm ready to start cycling!! Test kit, ammonia, and bb are all ready. So basically what I do is put the filter media from the 20g in the 50g filter use that calculator that jlk posted and dose the amount of ammonia it says? Oh and by the way I got ace brand janitorial strenght 10% ammonia. After I dose amo, will I need to do any tests??

GuppyLover said:
Thanks guys!! I only shook it up for like 5 seconds. Really shook it and my test came out between 20 and 40. It's not planted. It still has the ugly premade ornaments from when I first bought it, while the 50g is cycling I plan on totally remodeling it to planted.

Okay so I think I'm ready to start cycling!! Test kit, ammonia, and bb are all ready. So basically what I do is put the filter media from the 20g in the 50g filter use that calculator that jlk posted and dose the amount of ammonia it says? Oh and by the way I got ace brand janitorial strenght 10% ammonia. After I dose amo, will I need to do any tests??

Sounds good. Test in 24 hrs

Do you have fish in the 20? If so, monitor this tank closely because you will be removing its bacteria (as in daily). Do water changes as needed anytime your amm/nitrite hit .25 (or higher). For the 50g, your all set! Just add the correct dose of amm, check to see what your level of amm reads after dosing & wait. If you havent done so already, check all of your numbers on the 50g before adding the amm so you know what your base reading is. You will also want to check your taps readings as well so you know what your putting in your tanks. Oh- before i forget, make sure you adjust the amm calculator to 4ppm (its automatically at 5ppm) so your adding the correct dose. Think thats it! Ask if you are unsure about anything & make SURE you do not take a whiff of the amm bottle- it will literally knock you off your feet! :)

Tap water. Really not liking those nitrates.

ForumRunner_20120214_181817.jpg Without flash

ForumRunner_20120214_181801.jpg With

Also check the high-range ph as well- getting a blue reading on regular ph just indicates your ph is atleast 7.6. It may be higher so its good to know! :)

Ummm, I'm pretty sure it did.

So tank has .25 ppm amm, between .50 and .25 nitries, 20 ppms nitrate. This is without ammonia.

*edit* Alright, I'll go do the high range ph now :)

Ok- the orange nitrates (no red) is 10-20 range but I would venture to guess its actually around 10 if your on city water. 10ppm nitrates is the highest level allowed by the EPA. If its well wtaer, then its another story & they very well may in the 20 range. It just means you would benefit from lots of plants & more fequent water changes to keep your nitrates as low as possible.

Now, the readings of amm & nitrite from your tank- do they match the levels of your tap as well?

jlk said:
Now, the readings of amm & nitrite from your tank- do they match the levels of your tap as well?

We do have city water. When you asked about it I had already dumped it so I was going by the picture. Now the nitrites are a sure .50ppm. No, we have 0 amm and nitrite in the tap. Does this change anything cycle wise??

I am just wondering where the amm & nitrites came from in your tank! No big deal though as long as you know theres no amm/nitrites in your tap. Your ready to go as long as you know the high-range ph in your tank- ph is very important while cycling & we need to know where it is exactly to measure any drops/jumps. :)

High range PH just came up 8.2 -_- Should I redo the test??

Back
Top Bottom