55 gal and 30 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently bought an ENTIRE (stand, top, tank, gravel, filter, chemicals, lights, plants, fish) 55 gal setup (for $250 :D )from someone and brought it home. I know where I'd like to set it up and I'm moving a 30gal out of the way. Neither need to cycle since I have filters and gravel full of old bacteria. The 55 gal came with:
two kissing gouramis,
two blue gouramis (one looks gravid),
what I think is a three-spot gourami,
a small pleco with a tail deformity,
and three tiger barbs.

I got home late last night with the tank, so for the time being I've got them all in my 30gal along with:

A dwarf gourami,
a dozen neons,
a betta,
and a shrimp.

I also have a 16 gal tall with a sailfin pleco which I plan to move to the 55gal.

After I get the 55gal set up (which should be before the end of today), I'm going to split them up. I'm not sure which should go where though. I was thinking about putting the kissing gouramis, sailfin pleco, neons, and three spot gourami in the 55. And put the blue gouramis, the deformed pleco, the tiger barbs, and the betta in the 30. I'd also move the dwarf gourami to my 16gal and probably go buy him a friend. I'd like to hear some suggestions about what to move where since I'm still unsure. :-?

Also, what kind of decor would make the gouramis comfortable? I was thinking lots of fake plants, a few real ones, some driftwood and a clay pot for each tank. The previous owner of the 55 said he added peat moss. Should I add some more?

Also, if anyone has any layout ideas for tanks these size, or has pics I'd love to see them

Thanks for any input!

First, you paid too much, but if you are comfortable paying that, its no business of mine.

Second, the 3 tiger barbs are going to wreak havoc in that tank. They should be kept in larger schools or they will start nipping other fish instead of each other.

Third, I'd swap the sailfin pleco for a smaller pleco such as a bristlenose or a clown. That sailfin will easily outgrow the 55 even.

Fourth, if you are thinking of going live plants, I would go with all live plants instead of some live and some fake.

Fifth, driftwood never hurts a tank.

Sixth, the peat moss really isn't necessary. None of those fish need a lowered PH or blackwater to be happy.

really? I paid too much? empty 55gal tanks are $180 at stores here, so I thought I was getting my money's worth. Well, he had five kids and no furniture so I guess I helped him out. :p thanks for the tip though

I'd rather not get any more tiger barbs, so I'll probably just give them away

And the Sailfin is in the 16gal now, so I was going to move him into the 55 gal until he got too big there, then hopefully I can have a 125 gal to move him into.

Also, can you explain the problem with fake and live plants together? I've done this in other tanks and there is no problem.

thanks for your input

Brand new 55gal tanks with hoods are 100 dollars at Petsmart/Petco. You can get complete setups used cheaper than that. No worries, though.

There's no problem with going with some live and some fake plants. I just think it looks nicer one way or the other...and I'm partial to planted tanks :D

Not here they aren't. The tank alone is almost $200 at our petsmart/petco. I guess you're just lucky to have cheaper retail where you live. :)

I paid $250 for my 90 with "stand, top, tank, gravel, filter, chemicals, lights, plants, fish" and some decor. Walmart has 55's for under $100.

Hey, if you think you got a good deal, what does it matter what anyone else says.

My 3 barbs rule the tank.

200 for an empty 55g? That's ridiculous. I can get a 75 at petsmart for that price.

I agree, and I certainly haven't noticed prices like that here (I'm in the Atlanta area as well).

Herp mommy- if you're looking for another 55, HN1 and I would be happy to sell you one of our complete setups. We're only asking $150 and we have quite a bit of equipment to throw in there as well, including a Python. :)

Hey.... I agree with the rest that you paid a bit much, but if you're happy with the tank, cool!

When I was first starting out and getting the MTS bug, I bought a used "75G tank with everything including fish" for $200. But, guess what.... turns out it was a drastically underfiltered, cheesy 55G that was grossly mis-stocked. Stuff like this happens and we learn from it. Enjoy the new tank and don't let one questionable deal get to you.

i agree with the price as shown above. the tiger barbs shouldnt go with the betta the tiger barbs will attack its fins like crazy

Brand new 55gal tanks with hoods are 100 dollars at Petsmart/Petco. You can get complete setups used cheaper than that. No worries, though.

There's no problem with going with some live and some fake plants. I just think it looks nicer one way or the other...and I'm partial to planted tanks :D

Just the tank and hood yes, but he got the stand, gravel, tank, hood, fish, chemicals etc for $250. Out here a 55g set up minus gravel, stand and fish costs about $250 at those stores.

I think you got a good deal regardless. I know my 55g we got at Walmart and paid roughly the same since they don't add the stand, it's just the tank, filter, and net. I had to get everything else.

severum mama: I wish I had room for another 55gal but I don't as of now.

And I'll move the barbs to the 55gal until I can get rid of them, they only seem to be picking on each other currently. Any tips on netting them?

The betta is an old man (4 years from when we got him as an adult) so he hasn't attacked anyone.

I think the price is good if it is a good quality of tank. When I look at tanks at big box pet stores they are low quality, I check silicon seams and am surprised how thick they are and uneven. I have gotten tanks at the big box stores and spent hours getting the seams to look decent.

You may have some real problems with the stocking if you keep it like it is now. I saw some kissing gourami the other day at the LFS that was at least 8 inches long and was told they can get up to 12 inches so you will be needing that larger tank if you keep them.

I managed to move the tiger barbs, and the betta seems happier. And I'm always on the lookout of bigger tanks, so hopefully I'll have one for the gouramis before they get too large.

I would consider ditching the sailfin completely. I had one that outgrew a 10g, 20g tall, 30g long, 55g, 75g and is now in a 120g cichlid tank. He completely destroyed my 'scape by uprooting plants and knocking over rocks. He was far too boisterous to be in my tank. I re-homed him and he has been re-homed quite a bit.

They are cool fish, don't get me wrong, but it seems like they are more work than other types of bottom feeders.

I wouldn't give him up. He's never been a bother to me, never uprooted anything or knocked it over. And he's cute. I plan to move him to a tank larger than the 55 once he gets that big, but right now he's only about 7in.

Back
Top Bottom