55 gal....it's coming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmagi said:
By the way the HOT magnum is rated for up to 75 gallon tanks by Marineland.. :mrgreen:

Conflicting information. Here is what I copied from their website. Perhaps the Pro System has a lower rating?:

H.O.T. MAGNUM CANISTER FILTER
Product Name Product Description More Info
H.O.T. Magnum 250 H.O.T. Magnum Canister Filter, Micron Cartridge, Carbon/Media Container, Filter Sleeve, 8 oz. Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon. Certified Flow: 250 GPH
H.O.T. Magnum Pro System For aquariums up to 50 gallons H.O.T. Magnum 250 package, BIO-Wheel PRO 30 Wet/Dry Biological Filter, Power Kleen Gravel Washer. Certified Flow: 250 GPH

greenmagi said:
I actually have a carbon cartridge I dont need for mine.. I want to convert mine into a DE filter.. e-mail me if you have something for trade!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have everything I need to use it as a Micron Filter Water Polisher as well as the carbon cartridge and sleeves. Thanks anyway. :)

now that I recall it was a canister filter comparison chart from a online retailer. I knew the fulval specs were the same as what Hagan says so I might have did a jump in my head when recalling the information.. Most likely it was the info Marineland used to give out... lets look into it a bit further just for a second.. just to amuse me mostly, sorry in advance if this bores anyone..
needless to say if you count minium cycles per hour being 3.. 250/3 is about 80 gallons.
normal load 5 cycles per hour that would be about 50 gallons.. so I would say it would do the job fine, considering at least 5 gallons will be displaced with gravel and such.. If bio-filtration was worked into the mix..
it all depends on who and when the calculating was done as to what size tank they recommend the filter for..JMHO though

Fishy, while everyone discusses the equipment for your tank, I will contribute information on your inhabitants. I've only picked out two items:

German Blue Rams - Check this thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53378&highlight=

It's in it's infancy but a ton of info on them is already there. :D

Plants/Lights - Since you've participated in several light requirement issues, there's no need to bring it up again. But, If you and James are into DIY, you know you can save big $$$. I'm gonna PM you with some pictures of my plants (before and after). The plants are less than a month old. Some plant ID's may help even more...right?

Congrats on your move and the setting up of the tank. :D

We haven't moved yet, but I can't wait until we do. You can only live so long in a teeny tiny apt loft.

Tony- I didn't pay for the tank, James got it for me as a gift. The store was going out of business and the complete setup was, I think, $125. I don't mind upgrading the lights, that's not an issue.

Regarding the filter, ok, I have no clue how many gph that is needed for a 55 gal tank. I just always overfiltered and went by what the box said. I know, bad idea. But the more I think about it, the H.O.T. Magnum is more of a hob, right? I don't like hob's because of the noise and the amount of space that has to be between the tank and the wall. Hmmm. More thought.

I think that I'm going to go into more challenging plants, than just the standard <2 Watts per gal. This way I can get into a nice tall background and some carpet in the front. But since I have no clue on plants, that will take some more researching.

JC- I've been keeping up with your German Blue Ram thread. :D And I find it very useful. Thanks!

the HOT actually stands for Hang On Tank canister filter, and I have 2 HOB's that are super quiet but the space is an issue.. the HOT has a smaller with footprint, it can be hung from the side of the tank were a HOB can not. I am not supporting the HOT.. Im always an advocate of using what you have and if you already have it I would consider using it strongly..JMHO
I would consider CO2 and nutrient dosing if you want to do more challenging plants.. java moss isnt challenging and it carpets...just a thought there..
the rams thread needs to get to a point were there is less fatalities before I consider them for now..LOL. :mrgreen:

There are greater fatalities with the German Blue Rams, but that is because they are more delicate. I don't really have any delicate fish at the moment, and that's why I am wanting to branch off into the more challenging fish. They will be the last fish that are introduced to the tank, that way it is fully established beforehand.

I will definately be having a CO2 injector. I already have all of the plant nutrient stuff. I bought it all a couple months ago and haven't used it because I can't find the plants that I want to use in my 5 or 10 gal. Java Ferns and Crypts are VERY hard to find around here.

So, the H.O.T. Magnum will be adequate to filter the 55 gal? I don't want to have 2 filters on the tank, so if I will need to suppliment with another filter, I will just scratch the whole Magnum idea.

Thanks for your help Green. :D Do you have any suggestions on plants?

http://www.tropica.dk/plants.htm
they have a good description of most plants kept and give you an idea of what there needs are.. pictures of the plants to boot! I would check them out and see wich ones would do well in the setup you have planned.. its what im doing...
LOL JC..

and yes the HOT will work as long as you stay under the 1 inch per gallon rule.. in other words as long as you dont over stock the tank..

it seems fluf will be giving her water stats that her rams are doing so well in soon so who knows there might be hope yet!

That's the thing. I am going to be overstocking the tank. Not putting 100 inches of fish in it, of course. But it will be somewhere around 70. BUT, that includes the Pleco and in a 29+ tank, I don't really include Plecos in the tank as inches of fish as long as it's not a Trinidad pleco. ( :D That's for you JC) So I think I'll have to upgrade to a larger filter.

Thanks for all the plant info you guys. I'll be checking out the sites and will update later with what I'm thinking.

I would upgrade the filter in the case that your mentioning.. :mrgreen:
I would also count the pleco's in my calculations if I were you.. its safer that way..

The pleco's don't really use any swimming space. And if overfiltering, I don't count them. If I would be using the Magnum, then sure, I'd count him, but since I'll be using a filter for a 75 gal tank, there's no need.

Go with the rummynose tetras, you will love them! They school really tightly together and they're super interesting to watch. If I were you I would replace the 6 neons with another 6 rummies for a total of 12, that would be beautiful! If you're into dwarf SAs but you want to do something different than GBRs, check these out:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1664

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1658

I've been wanting those guys forever, but I can't ever find them around here- I've been looking for over a year. :evil:

Severum- I found those online also and SO wanted to get them. They are not available around here and for $50 a pop, by the time you got them shipped to your door, you will have casualties. If I come across them at the lfs, I will definately get them.

Thanks for the info. I may get 12 Rummynose Tetra's instead of 6. I really wanted a tight schooling fish and I have noticed that the neon's tightly school in James' moms tank. But if the Rummynose do the same thing, then I think I'll just get 12 of them.

You know, I was thinking.... maybe you should go with the neons after all. The rummynose will spend most of their time in the middle and lower levels of the tank. So will GBRs, and didn't you mention cories? That's an awful lot of activity concentrated in the bottom of the tank. :? I would personally ditch the danios and go with more of a SA theme (JMO). Then you could go with 9 rummies and 9 neons, or maybe 6 rummies and 12 neons. Glowlight tetras are cool too, if you decide against the neons, and mine stay near the top of the tank.

Hey, have you ever seen these guys?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=846
My LFS has some and they are stunning! :D You can't tell in the pic but their pectoral fins are a really pretty orange color. I wanted to buy the ones at my LFS but they are charging $21 a piece! 8O There's no way I could justify buying a $100 school of fish right now. :roll:

I've got a Sterbai and I wish I had more. I'm waiting for more to come in. They cost $9.00 at the lfs here. The owner took most of the stock and put in his display tank (*&^?+@#!$). They do get a little bigger than most corys I've seen. I agree with severum mama, the orange pectoral fins are striking.

Wow, Thanks you guys! All comments are greatly appeciated! I am not too farmiliar with the swimming levels of most fish. Basically the bottom dwellers I know, but the upper and mid level ones, I have NO clue.

I'm not too sure on the availability of the Cory Cats though. I know that they have the Swartz's Cory Cats almost all the time. But it seems like when the best lfs in the area gets in really nice looking fish, they put them in display tanks. Kind of like the African Cichlids, the larger ones and rare ones go into the display tanks. *AUGH!*

you should look at pencilfish, they're pretty neat schooling fish that stay at the top most of the time

Back
Top Bottom