55 gal....it's coming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are Hatchets hard to keep? I've never seen them at the lfs, but I know that I have at some store in STL. They are really attractive looking fish. I like the oddball looking ones.

Fishyfanatic said:
Oh I realize that it won't be completly cycled. I mean, it will be darn near though. It will be seeded enough that the same day I can add fish. I'm going to do 1 school at a time. The pleco wont be added until later on when I can find another Bristlenose or Rubbermouth. Those pleco's are not common around here and you really have to have luck to find one. So start out with the Rasbora's and so on. The last group to be added will be the German Blue Rams.

Does anyone know of a good top level fish that would go with the community style tank that I am trying to setup?

I just bought 5 albino bristlenose plecos on Aquabid for 29.00 free shipping, so you might want to order them too if you can take 5. I am putting 3 in my 55 and 2 in my 12.

RE: a top level fish, my whiteclouds and zebra danios spend most of their time in the top portion of the tank.

I can't have 5 pleco's in a 55 gal tank. The 150 already has 2, the 29 has 1, and I'm not a fan of putting pleco's in a 10 gal tank. It just seems like too small of a tank for those poopy producers. :D

I like the Turquoise Danio better than the Zebra's. I know that I originally said Zebras, but I hadn't seen the Turquoise's before until today. I really like the Long Fin White Cloud's. I don't know how common they are around here though. So the Hatchets, White Clouds, and Danio's are good top dwellers? Is there a website somewhere that tells you the levels that fish inhabit?

Hatchets used to be a staple at most LFS and department store tanks for that matter... they always stayed to the top of the tanks Ive seen them in.. I havnt kept them myself thats why I put the "?' at the end.. I thought that white clouds were more of a temperate water fish though.. I could be wrong on that one..
I havnt seen a level guide in a long time.. the information would be nice for community tank people such as yourself.. or if I decide to do a community tank for the kids!..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whiteclouds don't need a heater but they do fine in a heated tank as well. I've heard the same thing about hatchets being tough to keep, but there is no question they are top dwellers.

Well I read that the water quality needed to be excellent which led me to believe that the Hatchets might be difficult to keep. Then again, the German Blue Rams are also difficult to keep.

When I finally go to stock the tank, I'm sure that I'll leave the house with the specific scientic name of the fish that I want. Then I'll get there and decide on a different type. :D Isn't that always how it goes? You leave intending to buy a Rubbermouth Pleco and come home with a Bristlenose. :D But I'm more looking for the specific kind of fish, ie Hatchet, Cory, Tetra, and so on.

I still can't believe you don't like ADFs, they are the coolest. What about clams? They are neat too, and don't really add to your bioload.

Not into clams or frogs. Sorry Tony. I'm more into fish and snails. I LOVE snails, but apparently they don't love my water.

Ok. I have narrowed it down. Do you guys think I could fit another school of top-dwellers in here? If so, any suggestions?

4 German Blue Rams
5 Cory Cats
6 True Rummynose Tetras
6 Marble Hatchets
1 Bristlenose or Rubbermouth Pleco

I"ve looked into the Killies. But they aren't really common around here. I've never actually seen one in a tank at the lfs. I will be just kind of playing it by ear when stocking, but since I have more bottom and middle area dwellers, I thought maybe I could trade a middle dweller for a top dweller.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom