55 gal stocking???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuhli Loach

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'll these fish work in a 55 gal for now???

2 dwarf gouramis
1 rainbow shark
1 pictus catfish
1 rhino pleco

Rhino plecos are way too big for a 55 gal actually.

Pictus cats shouldn't be stocked in singles.

2 dwarf gouramis may work in a nicely planted 55 gal, but it's a risk. I would get a male and female if possible, but most stores stock only males. Personally I wouldn't put two male dwarf gouramis, but some do report having success with it.

My rainbow shark absolutely hates gouarmis. He's a nice guy but he bullies any gourami or betta endlessly. I only have experience with this one rainbow shark, but I have heard other hobbyists say the same. I would say it's a medium-high risk combo.

I have specifically asked the LFS manager to pick two male dwarfs that get along nicely. IME the rainbow shark should work fine. Should i get 2 or 3 pictus cats? What pleco type??? 2 rubbernoses???

You could put way more fish then that. But I have had multiple dwarfs together and it never worked. Only one would live. The others would just hide, and get stressed to death. I have kept a lot of different gourami, they seem to do best in singels. You could do any smaller pleco. Bushynose, Rubber lip, royal, clown, ect ect. Probably at least 5 pictus.

Chances are there is just no way the LFS manager could possibly make that determination with the time in which he'll have the fish in his possesion, and the time, or lack thereof, that he'll have to observe them.

For the plecos you can really go with anything that doesn't exceed 6" or so. My favorites are pitbulls, clowns, and zebras. The bristlenoses are also very popular, though I find them hideous. Rubbernose would work as well.

2 or 3 pictus should be fine. I recommend using a cup to transfer them as they can be easily damaged by netting.

Going to stick with my dwarfs and my rainbow shark. 5 pictus catfish , a emporer pleco. A fire eel and 6 rummynose tetras?

The shark, 5 pictus, and the eel are too much for the bottom IMO.

Oh and I would go with a peacock eel. I think fire eels get much too large for a 55.

Alright so 2-3 pictus catfish, a peacock or tiretrack eel, 1 or 2 bulldog plecos, 6 rummy noses, and my dwarfs. Stupid question: Could I get a jack Dempsey? Just a yes or no answer.

Kuhli Loach said:
Alright so 2-3 pictus catfish, a peacock or tiretrack eel, 1 or 2 bulldog plecos, 6 rummy noses, and my dwarfs. Stupid question: Could I get a jack Dempsey? Just a yes or no answer.

Sorry 2-3 pictus is too much with an eel

If you want an eel, be really careful about identifying the right species. Tire track eels can reach 3 feet. A 55g is only 4 feet long, so thats not really a good idea. There are some smaller species however.
Pictus cats are predators. I would absolutley not trust trust them with rummies. Not for long-term. Full grown peacock eels are predatory as well if they are hungry enough.
JMO. HN1 just posted on a different thread about seeing peacock eels eating decently tetras.

Ya i guess a pecock eel could become agressive, but if u have urs on a good dies consisting of worms and shrimp you will be fine i think. My eel doesnt care abt my glowlights at all, and he is very friendly twards all of my fish!

Ya i guess a pecock eel could become agressive, but if u have urs on a good dies consisting of worms and shrimp you will be fine i think. My eel doesnt care abt my glowlights at all, and he is very friendly twards all of my fish!
Predation and aggression are not the same thing at all. I am glad yours doesn't have problems with tank mates. Which species do you have, latin name please if possible.
Also, remember that young fish do not act the same as adult fish. I don't know if yours is young or old, I am just saying.
Again Kuhli Loach, if you want an eel, thats totally fine. Just make sure to plan the stock around it and make sure you get the right species so it doesn't out-grow your tank. :)

I really doubt 2 gouramis would be aggressive in such a big tank. I have 2 in a 25g and they swim together.....

Back
Top Bottom