55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great to hear from you my friend !!
I'm surprise of your "new skills as a surgeon" :). Maybe I will hire you one day if I need to deal with the worm in my tank, don't worry plane tickets will be included! Lol

Where did you buy the jungle tablets? I have not seen it around here (California), just online...

Great to hear from you my friend !!
I'm surprise of your "new skills as a surgeon" :). Maybe I will hire you one day if I need to deal with the worm in my tank, don't worry plane tickets will be included! Lol

Where did you buy the jungle tablets? I have not seen it around here (California), just online...

It's great to hear from you too! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

So... a free trip to Cali? That sounds like a plan! (y) Heh.

Believe it or not, I found them at WalMart. I went there to buy Fungus Clear, but they were out. They had plenty of the Parasite Clear on the shelf though and I thought, "ya know, I may need to use those at some point", and threw them in the cart. Thank goodness for impulse buys! :ROFLMAO:

Holy fish surgery batman! I am thoroughly grossed out and horrified. I hope and pray I never have to deal with such things. *shudder* You're a strong woman! :)

Holy fish surgery batman! I am thoroughly grossed out and horrified. I hope and pray I never have to deal with such things. *shudder* You're a strong woman! :)

:ROFLMAO: It really wasn't that bad. The really disgusting part was looking at the little buggers up close. They are freaky! I think I have the outbreak under control now... hopefully! I really don't want to deal w/ that ever again!

Pics and Video

The time has come! I finally have my tank back to "normal", (um, I think, lol), so I took a couple of pics and a video.

You will notice that my tank has changed quite a bit from the last pics/vid I uploaded. I added a lot of new plants and I also placed my 3 Lyretail Guppies in the tank. I was going to keep them in my 5g for breeding, but I have faith that I will catch the female before she starts dropping fry. If she does free-drop, that's fine too because they will have plenty of cover.

As far as the video, I originally began w/ sound, but my husband was playing a video game downstairs and he had the sound up really high. :rolleyes: So, instead of annoying everyone w/ that, I decided to just drop out the sound completely. Just a warning though, this video lasts 10 minutes, so prepare to take a nap. :whistle: Ha! Oh, and don't mind the algae on the glass.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy! :D

For those of you that missed the first video, and don't want to go searching through the thread, here it is...

Daileene-I found out why I couldn't embed the first video.... I was posting the link to my YouTube channel. DOH! :ROFLMAO: I've always used embed codes on other vBulletin forums. Oh well. :D

Attachments

• DSCF2603.jpg
    DSCF2603.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF2597.jpg
    DSCF2597.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Good to hear that your tank is back to normal! Nothing better than a healthier tank ! ATTA girl :)

Is the big dude of the video a red tail shark? I liked also the tank background.. I think that I asked you this before, but I don't remember the answer, the red plant is natural?

Keep it going, nice community tank, great variety of fish, definitely a tank to enjoy , -:)

Edgar

I love the blue gravel! The tank is decorated beautifully! I am also keeping a shark in my 55g, but I am going to remove him when he becomes aggressive/bigger.

Oh my, I will totally agree with Edgar with you being a good fish surgeon. I know who to ask when I will have some parasites in my tanks. :) I wish I could afford your fees though. tee hee!

And now it made sense why you weren't able to embed your videos before.. But you did it now! See! The tank is so beautiful! Oh! I cannot believe how those wisteria grew like crazy. You did a very good job my dear. I love it!

I am so happy that everything seems fine now. Sorry to hear about your harlequin though. I hope that that would be your last casualty for now.

(((hugs)))

Good to hear that your tank is back to normal! Nothing better than a healthier tank ! ATTA girl :)

Is the big dude of the video a red tail shark? I liked also the tank background.. I think that I asked you this before, but I don't remember the answer, the red plant is natural?

Keep it going, nice community tank, great variety of fish, definitely a tank to enjoy , -:)

Edgar

Hi, Edgar! Yep, that's my Red Tailed Black Shark, Tyrone. Oh and no, the red plant isn't live, but I loved the color, so I kept it. There are 4 other plants in the tank that are plastic as well. They're all against the back of the tank. The 2 tallest ones I have to help hide the air hoses, and the 2 purple/silver ones to add some color. Once my plants start filling-in, I'm sure I'll remove them, but they work for now. :D

I love the blue gravel! The tank is decorated beautifully! I am also keeping a shark in my 55g, but I am going to remove him when he becomes aggressive/bigger.

Thanks! :) The blue gravel was my husband's idea. At first I didn't really like all the 'blue' in the tank. Of course, now that the tank is planted, the blue flows pretty well w/ the green.

I'm having a little bit of an aggression issue w/ my Shark, but it's not bad. I think as long as your Shark has his own territory, there shouldn't be too much trouble from him. Do you have any fishes in your tank that are around the same size as your Shark? The reason I ask is because mine usually torments my Clown Loach more than any of the others, (they're both around 4-5" long).

Oh my, I will totally agree with Edgar with you being a good fish surgeon. I know who to ask when I will have some parasites in my tanks. :) I wish I could afford your fees though. tee hee!

And now it made sense why you weren't able to embed your videos before.. But you did it now! See! The tank is so beautiful! Oh! I cannot believe how those wisteria grew like crazy. You did a very good job my dear. I love it!

I am so happy that everything seems fine now. Sorry to hear about your harlequin though. I hope that that would be your last casualty for now.

(((hugs)))

Thanks, Daileene! Honestly, I just pretended like I was a kid again, playing the game, Operation. "Don't touch the sides! BUZZ!" :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, it wasn't that difficult. I just made sure to not accidentally grab a fin w/ the tweezers. Oh, and I have yet to see anymore signs of those pesky worms, so I guess I won that battle! ;)

No more fish casualties, but I did lose a Bamboo Shrimp. I believe it was the one that I focused on in the video, but I'm not positive. The other one is still doing well though, so I'm not too concerned about something in the water. He was probably old.

Yeah, about the Harlequin Rasbora... I replaced that 1 with 5 more. I know, I'm bad. :ROFLMAO: Someone on Craigslist was rehoming some fish, so I traded her a bag full of plants. They made themselves right at home w/ the others and now I have a total of 9. I can't thank you enough for suggesting the Harlequins! They are absolutely beautiful!!

ohhhhh more fish......you are so in trouble...you are teasing me bad. LOL! but I am so happy that I got to help you with that suggestion. I love love love the harlequins. when i will get more funds, i would love a school of 10 of them in my 20G long and maybe 15 neon tetras. well see! :)

anyway, i will still ask you if i need someone to advice me with diseases and parasites. :)

daileene said:
ohhhhh more fish......you are so in trouble...you are teasing me bad. LOL! but I am so happy that I got to help you with that suggestion. I love love love the harlequins. when i will get more funds, i would love a school of 10 of them in my 20G long and maybe 15 neon tetras. well see! :)

anyway, i will still ask you if i need someone to advice me with diseases and parasites. :)

Dailenee, If your tank ever gets a parasite, I will pay the trip of McLumpy to your house also! :). :)

Bad News / Good News

First, with the Bad News: Yep, I knew things were going too well. /sigh Scarlet, my Swordtail, started doing somersaults during a pwc tonight. Low and behold she crashed belly up on the gravel right before my eyes. She was still alive, but was obviously going to pass soon. I had no choice but to euthanize her to put her out of her misery. :(

I don't know exactly what happened, but I noticed last week that she had a deep scrape along her side. The scrape started to peel and she began losing scales in that area. The next thing I noticed were little white specs on her body. I'm not quite sure if it was Ich, (as I've never let Ich get to the point where my fishes were showing signs other than flashing). However, if it was Ich, chances are she was flashing, (injuring herself in the process), and I just didn't catch her doing it. Regardless of what it was, she went downhill fast and it was tough watching her die before my eyes.

RIP Scarlet :(

Now for some Good News: I have a new Bamboo Shrimp in my 55g! He's just a little guy and quite feisty when he isn't hiding! He was zooming all over the tank tonight and I caught him hanging out w/ Charlie, (my other Bamboo Shrimp).

As far as my 5g... it is now the home to 2 more ADF's! Shortly after acclimating them to the tank, Elliott became friends w/ them right away. Unfortunately though, I'm unsure if either of the 2 are females as they're really young and it's tough to sex them. However, Elliott believes that at least one of them is a female. :brows: You guessed it... he straddled that poor frog. lol Funny part about all of this is that right before he gave his new pal a "hug", he let out a loud hum. I have never heard him do this before and it was pretty cool! The new frogs are still way too young, but Elliott's behavior is a good sign! (y)

The sweet, sweet loving doesn't end w/ the frogs though. Mixed in w/ my overpopulation of Pond Snails... I have RCS babies! I've counted 8 so far, but there's going to be more soon as one of my females is carrying eggs. Once the li'l guys get big enough, I will try to take a pic and post it on here. They really are adorable!

Anyway, that is all for now. I hope everyone had a great holiday! :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you witnessed what happened to Scarlet. Nevertheless was strange, because if was itch, I'm sure that other fish should showed some symptoms also, and not just Scarlet. On the other hand, if it was other type of illness (I hope not), maybe it is out of the tank with her death.

Really interested in how your frogs will interact, but based on your comments and observations, looks like will be a fun experience for you and the frogs! Keep us posted in the progress.

I also have a lot of RCS babies, I started with 15 in my 10G tank, and I now have close to 60 !!!!!
they reproduced fast.... Happy for you... My kids love the baby shrimp.

1+ with edgar. I am so sorry to hear about Scarlet. I had the same bad news with my coldwater tank. That single comet goldfish I had salvage died last Dec. 25. I didn't know what had happened to him. He didn't show any signs of disease until dec. 24. I noticed that both of his eyes were both cloudy and his whole body looks like it is peeling powdery stuff. He was just staying in one corner and never even move when I tried feeding him, which was strange because he was a piggy. The day before that he was very active. Then the next day when we waked up, I saw him in his side in one of the fake plants. I refused to believe that he was dead because he was with the family who gave him to me for more than 1 year, almost 2 years and they never even take care of him ever. And now that he is with me and I took care of his water and feed him regularly, he died. Weird. They used to say that they haven't fed him almost 2 months and I was like, what??? How did he survive?

But yeah, I am sorry I ratted with my own bad news. (((((HUGS))))) for both of us dear. So sorry you got to see Scarlet died in front of you though, that is the hardest thing.

But, with your good news, woohooo...naughty Elliot....teeheee....that's good though. At least we know that he likes the new addition. :) And with your RCS too...your tanks have a lot of lovin' going on there. :)

Back
Top Bottom