55 gallon JD tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could I put 1 jack Dempsey in a 55? If so, what would I need? Could it have any tank mates? I've read that it hit or miss depending on how aggressive it is

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I would say yes, but keep an eye on things as it gets larger.
Giant Danios, armoured catfish of suitable size, maybe a couple of smaller but feisty cichlids like a Con or maybe a Firemouth.

The thing is Jacks can stay a bit smaller than the max size, and remain quite calm and easy going but some can get very large and very aggressive. I'd do it and rehome if it goes south, which is fairly unlikely.

Your going to need a fine sand sub-straight with rots and caves to hide in.

If your going to plant make sure they are hardy as jacks will dig and rip them up.

As for tank mates anything smaller than the jack will be looked at as a meal (if able to swallow). I've heard of people keeping them with oscars.

I had them in with half a dozen african cichlid in a 55 gallon planted tank the cichlids ruled for a while but then the jacks started to grow and would chase and nip the cichlids. So a friend re homed them for me.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Should be fine. They tend to stop at 8", and that takes years.

Smaller fish that can take aggression but wont challenge the JD, such as a convict or firemouth would be ok. I kept mine with a firemouth and convict for a while. JD was the boss.

Anything similar sized or larger will create problems in a 55.

You can also look into an opposite sex to form a pair, or even another of the same. My 7" JD is a big pushover, and gets along fine with my 5" JD. Both males. Never shown any aggression towards each other. I think what helps is the extremely passive personalities of both JDs, as well as the small group of spotted silver dollars as an outlet for any aggression.

https://gfycat.com/DarlingAnnualFreshwatereel

Here is my current setup. The smallest is I think a female, which I will move to another tank if any problems arise.
DarlingAnnualFreshwatereel

Back
Top Bottom