55 gallon plant help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok see thats what i wasnt sure on, i didn't know if i should start slow with a few plants or if its better to go ahead and really plant the tank. I am going to write down all the plants you listed and look them up and get a feel for them so i can start trying to think of placement. See if i can find them all also for purchase as well. This is getting so exciting, i rushed into my 20 gallon so it feels nice to plan out things. lol I will also look into the fertilizer and liquid carbon. I was reading how you use the liquid carbon with your 220g! Which looks amazing! I showed my boyfriend your tank and he was like wooooow. Haha I didn't think you could get a tank like that with out one of those co2 systems though for sure. Will the bottles tell me how much to use of each? Does it just go by tank size? Or the amount of plants you have? .

I think it's better to start with more plants, especially ones that use alot of nutrients like water sprite or even something like ambulia if you could find it. And the ferts all list dosing amounts on their bottles. Or with a 55g you might want to look into dry ferts which would only cost $20 and would last a couple years or more for that size tank. Again much cheaper. And with the tank being low light you would only dose 1/2 or 1/4 the amount and if you ever get higher light you can just increase your ferts daily. I'll all for being economical.

Liquid carbon I suggest is Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. You take this gallon of Glutaraldehyde and mix it with 1-1/2 gallons of RO or DI water to make 2-1/2 gallons of Glutaraldehyde for only $27. Its the same as Excel and the same strenght only much cheaper. You have to throw away the little "activator" bottle that comes taped to the gallon of Glut as you never want to use it and the Glut has to be stored in complete light blocking bottles as light breaks down the Glut and makes it usless.

I think you mentioned earlier that you might want a low light sword. If you do i suggest the Ozelot Sword. It does not require high light and it would provide you with a color change. Its leaves are a mottled green and dark red. I have one of these in my tanks right now.

Well I've got the basic idea of what I want to start with now so thank you so so so much. I will look into that liquid carbon fer sure. For the first time I'll prolly go with excel but after that I may try and do what you are talking about that sounds legit and I'm all about Savin money! Lolol

I will most likely be ordering my filter, substrate, test kit, and plants all next month. I'm soooo excited now. Will give updates when I can but for now it's just the waiting game.

I think you mentioned earlier that you might want a low light sword. If you do i suggest the Ozelot Sword. It does not require high light and it would provide you with a color change. Its leaves are a mottled green and dark red. I have one of these in my tanks right now.

I will do a little research on that plant and see if I like it. Thank you!I love the sword plant I have in one of my betta tanks. The color change sounds pretty awesome!

Back
Top Bottom