55 Gallon Planted tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank is gorgeous. I can't believe it already looks that established and natural-brilliant!

I don't know nothin' about no plantin', but I think the middle-sized plant idea is excellent, and maybe what your eye is looking for in the tank.

i think you couldmddo with some more texture/leaf variety. most of the plants you have atm have a sort of messy growth structure - there's no strong lines. something that has a strong straight stem, or neat leaves would look good as contrast.

You did the same thing i did when I started with my 55...all big plants! 55s are tough to get a good midground since the tank is so narrow but i've recently had good luck with some Crypts and Ludwigia brevipes, which grows pretty slowly and has beautiful red leaves at the tips.

I think some larger hardscape would give the tank a more solid foundation, and something to work the plants around.

I tend to agree on both accounts. The majority of plants do have a bushy look. The couple crypts that are in there seem to be hidden by the overgrowth. I do like the one end with the stargrass/hygro as a thick hiding place. Maybe I should bring some of the crypts to the front and keep looking for some contrasting leaved plants.

As far as the hardscape goes, I picked up some really cool rocks and had big plans on the weekend I was getting things set up. When I tested the rocks they all fizzed :( So I went ahead with the planting and kind of forgot about the rocks. Maybe it's time to revisit the hardscape issue too. I tend to agree that I would like to see more rock structures in the tank.

Thank you both for some very constructive advice! Stand my for more pictures.

Time to get serious....

Bushy and overgrown is fun, just not as rewarding as I though.

I started trimming some of the plants this weekend and just did not stop. As I uncovered more of the driftwood, I found a fair amount of algae growing on it. As I removed the piece of wood from the tank, it had a very rotten smell. So much for "driftwood" on ebay.

I removed all of the plants from the right side of the tank and replaced a few select stems in the back for now.

Time for a trip to the rock store.....

Before:
img_782362_0_f1b178b3811018f1b5b830301955ffed.jpg

After:

img_782362_1_220b8ad663e20c85959f825fc3e4aa5b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom