55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only moved over the Ludwigia from my 10. Using the Whisper for gas exchange until I get an AC70 or 110.

img_1367044_0_fd8b9bada7f1fcd566a6e94e7d2c4a37.jpg

Thanks. I got another piece of DW that I am going to try to "connect" with that one in order to make it look like a larger piece. Today a guy traded me a brand new (still in box) AC70 for the Fluval 404. Some may drop their jaws at that, but the Fluval was 6 years old and was annoying me. It's actually incredible how quiet AC's are.

Also, I think this Aqueon heater is so far the most accurate I've ever had. Every other heater I have had needed to be adjusted to a different temperature to get to where I wanted, but this one is dead on accurate. I'm sure over time it'll need tinkering, but I'm pretty impressed.

I've been very happy with mine Nick... I did have to set it 2 degrees lower than I wanted, but that's pretty common with every heater. I've yet to see any fluctuation with temp.

Yeah man, thanks a bunch for recommending it. It's extremely similar in design to the Stealth, which I like. Does this one auto-turn off when the water level drops?

Says it does, not something I'd ever try. All my heaters are well below the halfway mark, horizontally, so I don't ever have to turn them off or anything when I do a water change.

If I were you, I'd rotate it 90 degrees and have it horizontal about 3-4" off the substrate. Plants will hide it, and you won't have to turn it off while you do water changes :)

Yeah, after 5 years of being in this hobby I've never done that. I think it's about time!

Mine is an Amazon HS-100 fully submersible. It does say though that it should be kept in a place with a strong current.

New DW. All tall plants will be on the left, specifically Vals. Let me know what you think of the placement. Ludwigia may not be in same position tomorrow. Also will be painting the intake black, so don't worry.

img_1368592_0_5c58b9691b7b64d4e257fec0cff5b6e0.jpg

Last edited:
Half planted, thanks to an arrival from Jon and a Hygro pickup from a dude on CL. I still am awaiting Dwarf sag and Italian Vals, so my tank looks crappy right now. Try to envision this...on the left, I am going to allow the plants to grow to the surface (Val and Ludwigia "jungle"). As for the rest of the tank...no idea yet :(.

img_1369443_0_9ad79f23b5282cae88d9178dac940bf2.jpg

img_1369443_1_753e653eb9af517c52a25d8b091cfa63.jpg

img_1369443_2_39cd2b83d3e27e14f4f52a83e5acf2cf.jpg

Everything is a little limpy from shipping, but I'm sure everything will spruce up within the next day or so. I hate the first week or two of planting...nothing looks right.

EDIT: Good news, my Vals and DS shipped today :). Should be here on Friday!

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump, but I already rescaped :-D. I think that this will work much better when I get my next shipment. Sorry about the cloudiness.

img_1369661_0_dab7e18e5077dd42b1d440453fc75037.jpg

img_1369661_1_ffcca1ce836b16ab88b27cf50292aef0.jpg

Thanks! I think the swords are going to look sick on the right side alone with that piece of DW.

Nick, don't be surprised if those swords eventually outgrow your tank. I started with one, who is the parent plant of those. I have since tossed out 3 because they were too big. I was also having some issues with algae at that point and they were beyond saving. There will be baby plants popping off that big one before too long, I'm sure of it.

Back
Top Bottom