55g Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
Horrible wifi made me retype this whole thing. Whatever. I have a 55g housing only two angelfish, zebra and black lace (if identified correctly). It's rather empty of life. There are a few live plants. It's a long freshwater tank, about 3 feet long.
I was thinking of getting these after a substrate change:
5 golden dojo loaches
3 pitcus cats
1 betta (only concerned about aggressiveness and fin-nipping)
3 kuhli loaches

I'm not sure what else I could find, since my two fish books are trapped behind a shelf. I'll get them later, after they're moved and I can find some more fish, hopefully appropriate for my tank.
Thanks c:

GBR means German Blue Ram. It is a fairly peaceful dwarf cichlid and they are beautiful. A pair of them would look great in your tank!

They're max size is 2.5-3 inches and they swim near the bottom to mid range of the tank.

Here's a pic of one of my GBR's

image-1352038619.jpg

I'd suggest going to liveaquaria.com and then go to the freshwater tab and just browse all the fish. They have tons with pics and descriptions on all their requirements :) it's a great site!

GBR means German Blue Ram. It is a fairly peaceful dwarf cichlid and they are beautiful. A pair of them would look great in your tank!

They're max size is 2.5-3 inches and they swim near the bottom to mid range of the tank.

Here's a pic of one of my GBR's

View attachment 158422

I'd suggest going to liveaquaria.com and then go to the freshwater tab and just browse all the fish. They have tons with pics and descriptions on all their requirements :) it's a great site!

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! They sound like a good choice. I'll consider them.
And that's a good idea. *goes off to lurk the photos*

Caligulus,
Warrior 13 is absolutely correct. Livaquaria is a great reference. Sometimes I'll just put a fish's name in google search. Its amazing what will pop up.

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! They sound like a good choice. I'll consider them.
And that's a good idea. *goes off to lurk the photos*

They are a beauty :) I love mine :) they haven't caused any problems in my tank.

Another option would be an electric blue ram (EBR) They are practically the same thing as a GBR except they are blue. Here a pic of mine :)

image-3967388606.jpg

There's also golden rams (dont have one but want one) and Bolivian rams. Just a quick google search and you can see what they look like. They are all colorful and great additions.

They are a beauty :) I love mine :) they haven't caused any problems in my tank.

Another option would be an electric blue ram (EBR) They are practically the same thing as a GBR except they are blue. Here a pic of mine :)

View attachment 158437

There's also golden rams (dont have one but want one) and Bolivian rams. Just a quick google search and you can see what they look like. They are all colorful and great additions.

I'll consider them! I'll probably end up hunting them down at my lfs, I can't keep myself away from the really beautiful and cool lookin' fish!

I'm the same way! I always see beautiful juvenile angel fish at my lfs and ways tempted to buy them but then realize my tank doesn't suit them
-_-

I then want to upgrade so I can get them, then think about the cost and realize its not a good investment at the moment lol.

Impulse purchases might satisfy the eye but they might not be the best in the long run.

I'm the same way! I always see beautiful juvenile angel fish at my lfs and ways tempted to buy them but then realize my tank doesn't suit them
-_-

I then want to upgrade so I can get them, then think about the cost and realize its not a good investment at the moment lol.

Impulse purchases might satisfy the eye but they might not be the best in the long run.

Always true. It's kinda happened to me several times, like my BGK who recently passed mid-February. A question on the rams, you mentioned you have more than just two, so it's fine to keep a pair of three different types?

Always true. It's kinda happened to me several times, like my BGK who recently passed mid-February. A question on the rams, you mentioned you have more than just two, so it's fine to keep a pair of three different types?

I'm sorry for your loss !

On the rams, I have 2 in one tank and 2 in another. When rams form a pair( male and female together), a lone ram wouldn't be a good idea. If you want to mix rams, id go with all male or all female. Your tank is only big enough for one pair, cause two pairs would fight for territory.

I'm sorry for your loss !

On the rams, I have 2 in one tank and 2 in another. When rams form a pair( male and female together), a lone ram wouldn't be a good idea. If you want to mix rams, id go with all male or all female. Your tank is only big enough for one pair, cause two pairs would fight for territory.

Thank you! I'll take that into consideration, and decide which I'll go for.

EBR rams are GBRs... Just from selective breeding I believe. Also in a 55 he could have 2 pairs....

EBR rams are GBRs... Just from selective breeding I believe. Also in a 55 he could have 2 pairs....

Whoops, for some reason I was thinking it was a 20 gallon? Even though the title says 55 in it lol. My bad !!

Back
Top Bottom