56g column stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all! I ended up getting a 56 gallon column tank (30" x 18" x 24") to upgrade my current 29 gallon tank. Here's what I'm thinking. I'd appreciate suggestions and input!

x3 angelfish (already have them)
x6 Colombian tetras (already have them)
x6 peppered corys (already have 2)

Fluval 306 cannister filter + penguin 200B HOB filter (already have the penguin running on my 29g)
Fluval 200 w submersible heater

Tank comes with a florescent hood, may switch to LED eventually.

Any other equipment you would suggest? Any you would change?
Think I have room for any more fish other than what I listed? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!!!

A bubbler would be good, for oxygen and to keep the water moving. I would say adding more cories is a definite. You could do a German blue ram, or a few rainbows, or a few dwarf gourami. The footprint of a column tank is small so you can't stock as much as you could in a normal 55.

How large are your angels now? With a tall tank, it can be difficult to stock because fish normally don't have the horizontal swimming space. My suggestion would be to add a bnp, soft spot for them, and a taller piece of driftwood. I would advise against the ram because the bottom, as small as it is already, might be too busy with the eventual 6 cores. If it was a normal long tank, then you could easily get a pair of gbr.

My angels are about half grown, by my estimation. I am bad at estimating though! I thought about maybe adding 1 gbr or 1 Bolivian ram or 1 honey gourami, but like you said with the smaller footprint, not so sure about adding anything beyond the corys.
I'm assuming a bnp is a pleco? In my profession bnp is a lab test, lol. I'm not a fan of Plecoes, so I think if I need more bottom fish/ cleaning crew I'd rather do more Cory's or snails or shrimp.
I mainly got this tank for the angel's sake. As the are getting bigger they are starting to squabble some. Haven't noticed any pairing. I'm wondering if I have 3 of the same gender :/

My angels are about half grown, by my estimation. I am bad at estimating though! I thought about maybe adding 1 gbr or 1 Bolivian ram or 1 honey gourami, but like you said with the smaller footprint, not so sure about adding anything beyond the corys.
I'm assuming a bnp is a pleco? In my profession bnp is a lab test, lol. I'm not a fan of Plecoes, so I think if I need more bottom fish/ cleaning crew I'd rather do more Cory's or snails or shrimp.
I mainly got this tank for the angel's sake. As the are getting bigger they are starting to squabble some. Haven't noticed any pairing. I'm wondering if I have 3 of the same gender :/

A honey gourami would work/look nice. As far as 3 angels, if 2 do pair up, they will most likely bully the 3rd one. Yes a bristle nosed pleco is a pleco.

I had always planned if two paired up, that I would rehome the singleton.

Would adding a couple more corys to make it 8 or 9 work? Or too many for that size of bottom? I had six in my 29 gallon and they seemed happy (until I accidentally killed 4 of them off with my stupidity :( )

I might consider a mystery snail or two. I like the idea of shrimp, but aqadvisor says my angels will eat them.

Sounds like a honey gourami may be the winner, lol. Maybe some day I'll set the 29g back up and do rams in it.

I do plan to do driftwood and fake plants at this point. (I already have some nice driftwood in my current tank, may add one more piece and prop them together to make it tall/sort of divide the tank to help the angels figure out their territory. I may put one lowlight plant on the driftwood and see how it fares. I'm growing anubias and java fern in my betta tank, but it gets some sun from being near a window. This tank won't, so I'm not sure if real plants will work or not.

Angels will enjoy a shrimp cocktail in no time. But they also may pluck the eye stalks of mystery snails until the snails starve to death. There are other snails that are smaller but just as pretty to control algae. I'm not really familiar on snails sorry. Are you going with sand in the tank?

I will be using gravel. Never though about angels chewing the snails' stalks :eek:

Maybe I should just stick to cory cats!!

If you go with Cory cats, think about using sand vs gravel due to the barbels. I've had cores on gravel and they did ok but once I switched them to sand, they were much happier and they exhibited more natural behavior.

I've never had problems with cory cats and gravel. Mine are happy.

So I ordered the canister filter, new heater, and a new piece of driftwood online last night. Pretty excited!!

Any chance I could do a trio of female Bettas instead of the honey gourami?

Also any chance a peacock eel would fit in? I've read conflicting things on what they need/how big they get.

Also any chance a peacock eel would fit in? I've read conflicting things on what they need/how big they get.

The thing about peacock eels is they are like the corys, they are mainly bottom swimmers. The eels are long and can bend easily to the sides so I personally would recommend putting them in a longer tank rather than a column tank. I plan on putting one in my 55 gallon here pretty soon! my 55 is 4 feet long and about a 1and 3/4 feet high. Especially with the 6 cory cats the eel might get a little territorial. How wide, From left to right is your tank??

The peacocks are a blast! But, as mentioned above, I wouldn't mix it with cories. Esp not in a tank with a footprint like yours. Mine was the only bottom dweller when I had mine and it was 6.5 inches.

Okay, that's cool. I kept reading different things on how long they get. 10 inches is def too much for this tank.

Any thoughts on female Bettas?

Okay, that's cool. I kept reading different things on how long they get. 10 inches is def too much for this tank.

Any thoughts on female Bettas?

I'm not familiar with bettas but one thing I do know is that females are less aggressive than males.. That probably didn't help at all but it's all I have so I figured I would throw it out there! Good luck with your tank!! :)

Your angels and betta(s) may or may not get along.

I get the feeling from reading up on betta "sororities" that that is pretty much the case with any community fish you put them with...even with each other, lol. I have a male betta in his own tank and I really like the little guy, so I thought it might be cool to get some more, and I don't have room for more individual tanks, so I started thinking a small group of girls might be cool.

Besides...I just want to save them all from those tiny cups!

I will have to do some thinking on this. It will be quite awhile before I'm ready to add new fish. Heck, the tank is still sitting in the garage at this point!

Thanks for the info/suggestions! Please feel free to keep thoughts on stocking this thing coming!!

I got my stuff delivered yesterday. The driftwood is pretty. I was a little worried buying sight unseen, but it was so much cheaper online! :D

I *might* attempt the swap this weekend...or I may wait until next weekend. Soon though! Gotta get this going so I can make sure my params are stable so I can add fish! lol

I think I'm back to the thought of adding a honey gourami. Sounds like bettas are just too iffy. Maybe someday if I get the 29 back up and running...

Think I'm maxed out with 3 angels, 6 Colombians, 6 peppered corys, 1 honey gourami? Or should I do 2 honeys?

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom