56g Column Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided to add another tank to the ever shrinking fish room/office! This will be the last tank that I add for quite some time (mainly out of fear of bodily harm from the wife :hide: ) so I have decided that I better build it to house something that I have really wanted for a long time....Puffers!

As far as I know the only true FW puffers are dwarfs and hairy. Anyone know of any others I am missing?

This will be a heavily planted tank with high light, CO2, ferts, etc. I'm thinking the scape will be pretty jungley. The back of the tank will be blacked out, I will be using black sand for the substrate with a layer of Laterite on the bottom for the plants.

Here is the equipment list so far:
  • Fluval 406
  • Milwaukee Reg and PH controller
  • DIY Rex Grigg reactor
  • Hydor Inline Heater
  • Koralia 750 powerhead (might change this if there is too much flow)
  • I am still very undecided on the lighting for this tank

As for the stocking list for the plants and animals they are still to be determined. I am wanting to look at different views and suggestions though!

Here is the tank in the back of the room where it will live. As you can see, this is the last tank I can really fit in this room.

Last edited:
Following!

Why not did another 4 bulb? with lots of light and co2, you'll have a great looking jungle!

Id get some dwarf sag again since you said you wanted a jungle look, I'm sure dwarfs would love that

I'm not much help on any of your questions, but I can tell you stay from any of the pH regulator/pH up/down products, they do more harm than good.

Following!

Why not did another 4 bulb? with lots of light and co2, you'll have a great looking jungle!

Id get some dwarf sag again since you said you wanted a jungle look, I'm sure dwarfs would love that

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as far as lights go as well but it's hard to find a decent 30" fixture so far. The 30" issue is my main hurdle right now.

I'm not much help on any of your questions, but I can tell you stay from any of the pH regulator/pH up/down products, they do more harm than good.

I never use any of those types of products. The PH controller I referred to regulates the CO2 by turning it on and off to maintain a set PH.

skywhitney said:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as far as lights go as well but it's hard to find a decent 30" fixture so far. The 30" issue is my main hurdle right now.

I never use any of those types of products. The PH controller I referred to regulates the CO2 by turning it on and off to maintain a set PH.

Ew, 30 inches? That is a bad size to find components for

I found this: I don't know how you feel about coralife, but my dual fixture is great.

http://www.marineandreef.com/30_inch_4_lamp_Coralife_Lunar_Aqualight_T5_Light_p/res08605.htm

I ended up deciding on the Aquatic Life Quad T5HO with built in Lunar LEDs. They should be here within a week!

skywhitney said:
I ended up deciding on the Aquatic Life Quad T5HO with built in Lunar LEDs. They should be here within a week!

Nice!! Those LEDS will look awesome at night. I'm interested to see how they look on a heavily planted tank

yeah I'm looking forward to the seeing how the new fixture compares with the one I currently have. Hopefully it is as good if not better.

My filter should be here tomorrow so hopefully i can get this tank started cycling in the next few days!

skywhitney said:
yeah I'm looking forward to the seeing how the new fixture compares with the one I currently have. Hopefully it is as good if not better.

My filter should be here tomorrow so hopefully i can get this tank started cycling in the next few days!

What kind did you end up getting? A canister, right?

What kind did you end up getting? A canister, right?

I got another Fluval 406. It was on sale and has been working great for the other tank so I figured I might as well go with what has already been working well for me.

I got a few more components for the tank that I'll post pics of later once I'm back from the hospital.

Last edited:
Here are those pics I mentioned but never put up.

Live stuff
img_2263988_0_41a5943473fb170f0fe39ac886d3c609.jpg

Driftwood setup. Nice and cavey.
img_2263988_1_a4839b16deaf72b2534e4cf23d30df0a.jpg

img_2263988_2_750ee6fdf2a3a9b03a825bbaac2cb986.jpg

img_2263988_3_a7dc9188ec4240236396463968b3e77d.jpg

Sweet! Love that piece of driftwood, it looks great in the tank even though its not filled yet lol

Look closely you might find something unexpected in one of the pictures :)

Oh my god!! It's a dwarf puffer!! Haha aw, he's cute

He's an awesome little dude. He's only about 1/2" so he's really tiny but has a huge personality!

I'm still trying to figure out what to name him...ideas?

He's an awesome little dude. He's only about 1/2" so he's really tiny but has a huge personality!

I'm still trying to figure out what to name him...ideas?

Dwarf puffers are awesome, whenever I walk by them at the lfs, they follow me lol

Hmm, I don't know, how about Puff ? Lol

Got my Sunset Hygro today! I am a happy camper lol

I am running out of room to store plants so I will probably fill the tank at least partially today that way I have somewhere to keep them. It will probably be a few weeks before I can get the CO2 on this tank due to the fish fund going low.

Now if my light would arrive I would by much happier...

I am also thinking about putting quite a few ghost shrimp in here to try to start them breeding, I'm thinking they would make good puffer food as well or am I off base?

Got my Sunset Hygro today! I am a happy camper lol

I am running out of room to store plants so I will probably fill the tank at least partially today that way I have somewhere to keep them. It will probably be a few weeks before I can get the CO2 on this tank due to the fish fund going low.

Now if my light would arrive I would by much happier...

I am also thinking about putting quite a few ghost shrimp in here to try to start them breeding, I'm thinking they would make good puffer food as well or am I off base?

Whoo hoo!!

I think the puffers will try to eat them, not quite sure if they would be able to gobble up a whole shrimp, but I do know they LOVE little pond snails

CO2 controller and GH/KH test kit arrived this afternoon as well. part are arriving slowly but surely.

I love puffers! I couldn't find your puffer in the pictures you posted though lol. Guess I'm not looking hard enough, I'm subscribing so I can see your progress!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom