5gal nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey i have a 5gal tank to lying around at my place and i was thinking of turning it into a SW tank. is it worth my time to switch it over or should i hold out for a 10gal so i can put a fish in it?

Depends on what you'd like to do :) I Imagine it'd be good for a small invert only tank. Either way you'll have to keep up with maintance on such a small tank, but it'd be neat!

yeah i dont know if i am ready for seahorses yet but i will keep it in mind, i was thinking just inverts, mostly because i dont think there are any fish small enough to thrive in such a small enviroment, but everytime i go in my basement i see it just sitting there and i was to start it right away so i think i am going to do it and if a 10gal comes along will just upgrade it

5 gallons can be done but you have to be very good about doing your weekly water changes because your water parameters will change very quickly in a tank that small. You can look at putting a clown goby or maybe a dart fish in there. If i were you i would just do a nice reef and maybe a couple inverts. Salt tanks are usually a bit bigger then FW just because it makes them a bit easier to maintain and SW fish need more space.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Clown Goby, Yellow

clown gobys come in a bunch of different colors and like to perch on rocks and coral so they don't need a lot of swimming room. You will probably only be able to put in one fish in a tank that size though. Not sure what your situation is but i would save your pennies and upgrade to a 15-30gallon tank down the road. will give you more options for fish and corals. There are several nano cubes that are in that range and come with a bunch of what you need to get started. Good way to break into SW.

yeah the tank is more likely just going to house inverts since i already have a 30gal tank which i will keep for fish, but i was just curious to see what, if any, fish would be ok in a 5gal. i will more then likely increase it to a 10gal at some point i just want to get started because the SW bug has bit me.

I would say to look at gobys. There are several real small ones that might be ok in 5gal. You could also try a jawfish or some small burrowing fish. They don't need much room as long as they have a good rock to dig out under for a home. Possible blennies as well.

There are plenty of small gobies to choose from. Clown. Rainford. Neon (blue or yellow). High fin varieties. Panda (that's really neat IMO), and a few more that escape me for now. Look'm up. A lot of'm grow only as large as 2".

Firefish. And likely even some blennies.

thanks alot i will definatly look into the different gobys and i will probably head out to the store tonight and pick up some sand. plus my LFS is aving a sale this weekend so i can get some LR and BR pretty cheap

Back
Top Bottom