6 tank breeder build - help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys i have spare room at home so i wanted to make a fish room and breed african ciclids or angelfish . i was going to start with 6 - 24x12x12 tanks.

if i dont use a sump and pipework i would have to use 6 individual spnge filters and then 6 individual heaters which i dont really want to do. and i have never done any plumbingon tanks before as drilling and the pipework go. but im thinking it would be cheaper in the long run to use the sump idea rather then useing the individual heaters and spnge filters. what would you guys think of this ?

My concern is if you plumb all tanks together and you have a disease outbreak or something. It won't be isolated to that tank. It will be spread among them all.

Putting it on a central system would make maintenance much easier also. Just follow proper QT procedure on any new arrivals and you'll greatly reduce the chances of having some kind of disease outbreak.

I've got 10 40 gallon long tanks on a central system i have had it up for about a year now with no problem easy to maintain just take your time when plumbing and wait the extra day so everything can dry really good

well here is my little bit of input. i breed lots of angels and i breed mine in 20 gallon tall tanks with all 5 inch round sponge filters. i have them all running on one big air pump. i use 50 watt heaters in each tank. and i have bare bottoms in mine. clean water and ph is most important in breeding angels. i breed in temps of 80 to 82. i have found through trial and error some angels breed better in different temps. such as i have a few smaller pairs that like 80 temp and some larger pairs that like 82. its not much of a temp different temp change but it works. in my fish room i have 3 - 55gall grow out tanks and 10 - 20 gallon tall breeders and 10- 10 gallon egg hatching tanks. so if i can help in any way let me no--PM--

Back
Top Bottom