6th tank, sage advise needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
New tank time! I'm going planted and looking for some advice from my guru buddies.
The goal here is to have a sweet planted tank sans CO2. I thought about it, can always be added later but need my funds for other stuff right now.
So here's where I'm at:
Free 40g high. Thought it was a breeder but oh well. Free stand, sanded, stained, and clear coated. Free AC50 and eheim 125w heater on the way. The tank also came with a bunch of black diamond blasting sand which I will be using.
Right now I'm just desperately trying to scrub off the hard water stains and the algae which has taken over the sealant. Debating whether to strip and reseal.
I have a scape in mind, wood and rock included and I'm going to try to heighten the substrate with foam and scaping. I'm planning on giving mineralized top soil and clay a whirl and capping it with the sand. I've also picked out the plants and fish I want, but negotiable depending on what I can find.
I'm also debating lighting. I have spare fixtures with CFL bulbs which have been serving me just fine on the small tank, and again, they're cheap. I could probably fit 4 on there if need be.
Any thoughts from the get go? Otherwise I'll post slowly as I progress.

Get-go thoughts? Super excited to see how it turns out and love the fresh canvas feel of a new tank!

I'm a novice at planted tanks myself, but I'm happy to say that I was able to create a decent hardscape using plastic canvas to help hold my substrate. I cut it in 3"-6" long strips as high as I wanted the substrate to be, and just used them like dams.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Hmm plastic canvas, never thought of that. I have some already, even better! I used them to make those little knitted Christmas ornaments that open their mouth when you squeeze them. I hope you know what I mean otherwise I'm sure I sound nuts. :p

How tall is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

20 inches, 3 ft long and I think 16 deep. Not optimum but it was free

Cool, low light, tall plants and angels!!swords, vals, crypts.. cheap.. easy.. no expensive lighting or co2, no.headaches aside from.squabbling fish.

Dimensions are irrelevant when the optimum word is "free".

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Not if you're going high tech;) couple inches can translate to a couple hundred real quick..

Yeah that's why I was disappointed it wasn't a long or breeder. Do you think if I raise up the substrate like 1/3 of the tank it will give me more options? I know I'll sacrifice gallonage that way but I really want to try some smaller plants too. The bf never gets to participate so I let him pick the stock. He wants albino cherry barbs and possibly zebra loaches, but I think the loaches are going to kind of minimize the space if that makes sense.

Hmm plastic canvas, never thought of that. I have some already, even better! I used them to make those little knitted Christmas ornaments that open their mouth when you squeeze them. I hope you know what I mean otherwise I'm sure I sound nuts. :p

Completely know what you're talking about! I worked at JoAnn's all through college! And so far the plastic canvas has worked well. I also used some black pc to tie down some plants which were a little bit stubborn, then just buried the pc.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

You have now opened my eyes. And ears. Do tell !!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It's all about par values or how far a light will send useful spectrum into the tank. A light growing plants on a 10" tall tanks very nicely may not grow anything on a 20" tall tank. You'll need more power.. more power usually translates to more money!

So Brooks...
I can either invest in adequate lighting (what would be sufficient for carpeting plants at 20"?)
Or how many inches depth would be acceptable for multiple CFLs?
If I have to drop money on lighting I guess I can't complain since most of the other stuff was free.
I get that I need to be in 6500+ to get the right spectrum, but it's hard for me to equate plant needs to appropriate PAR value which is why I'm a little stuck. Since I'm skimping on CO2 I want to pump as much to the plants through substrate, lighting, and liquid ferts as possible to get a decent balance.

No prob! Any info you squeeze from Brookster is valuable for me as well :)

Oh sorry, should mention - I want to tailor the tank to more high need plants than put plants in there to suit the depth. I know that sounds backwards stupid but I had the insides planned before I got the outsides and I'm determined to stay on track :p
Edit: I'll tell you what plants I was planning when I get home and can check my list, I'm sure that would help for suggestions. I know tears and camboba were two of them, maybe some blyxa and I forget what else.

Oh sorry, should mention - I want to tailor the tank to more high need plants than put plants in there to suit the depth. I know that sounds backwards stupid but I had the insides planned before I got the outsides and I'm determined to stay on track :p
Edit: I'll tell you what plants I was planning when I get home and can check my list, I'm sure that would help for suggestions. I know tears and camboba were two of them, maybe some blyxa and I forget what else.

The more high need plants like carpets need high lighting and sometimes co2 to thrive not just survive. Just my 2¢

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

My understanding was that CO2 is used primarily to mitigate algae growth while sustaining plants in high light settings (+3 watts per gallonish), so that plants are optimally using the macro and micro nutrients (please correct me if I'm wrong, this is all new to me). If I can meet the light needs for the plants without exceeding that ratio and causing excessive algae growth, while utilizing rich substrate, liquid ferts if needed, and increased gas exchange through surface agitation, that's the goal. No natural habitat has purposeful CO2 injection so if I can get the right balance I don't see a need to get crazy with it, that's why I'm looking for advice on appropriate lighting (PAR etc etc). Of course I want plants to thrive, and if I have to re plan I will.

Carpeting plants? You can make alot of plants "carpet", some faster, tighter and cleaner than others. What exactly do you have in mind?
Ps- if you say dhg or hc (dwarf baby tears) you'll be spending over $300 just on lighting;)

Carpeting plants? You can make alot of plants "carpet", some faster, tighter and cleaner than others. What exactly do you have in mind?
Ps- if you say dhg or hc (dwarf baby tears) you'll be spending over $300 just on lighting;)

I was referring to actual carpet plants not wisteria turned on its side lol :p

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Back
Top Bottom