6th tank, sage advise needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Timber. I already have the blasting sand for substrate, I believe it was a 1" max MTS to 2" max sand but I probably won't even do that much. I'm going to build the height with rocks or foam under the substrate.

For a reasonable priced alternative to excel you can buy metricide. Its the same stuff as excel, just more concentrated and less expensive. Metricide is 2.5 times stronger so you would need to divide excel's dose by 2.5.

Be sure to order Metricide 14 and NOT Metricide 28. The latter has some undesirable ingredients.
I had to scroll back a few posts to realize MTS = Mineralized Top Soil. I was thinking of snails and it did not make sense. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be sure to order Metricide 14 and NOT Metricide 28. The latter has some undesirable ingredients.
I had to scroll back a few posts to realize MTS = Mineralized Top Soil. I was thinking of snails and it did not make sense. Oops.

If so.. throw away activator bottle included!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more silly questions soon. These hard water stains on the tank are killing me and it's scratched to high heaven. I hope when it's fully cleaned and filled it isn't as noticeable.

Didn't know the difference between metricide 14 and 28 was ingredients. I thought it was for how many days of shelf life an opened bottle had.

So you were trying to figure out why you would have a bottom layer of Malaysian trumpet snails? Thats funny. And we thought it was only the government that had issues with acronyms.

Didn't know the difference between metricide 14 and 28 was ingredients. I thought it was for how many days of shelf life an opened bottle had.

So you were trying to figure out why you would have a bottom layer of Malaysian trumpet snails? Thats funny. And we thought it was only the government that had issues with acronyms.

The 28 has surfactants pre added, 14 has the activator bottle separately. Technically mts is always Malaysian trumpet snails. Rmts would be re-mineralized top.soil;) carry on....

I shall make my fish lie on a bed of snails!
Don't forget multiple tank syndrome too ;)

Wth...lets get this build going! :)
Yes, what Brookster says about the surfactant with Metricide 28. However, I reviewed the MSDS for both products and I can't tell the difference.

David!! Come help me then! Can't do any work tonight my little sister is coming over so I can help her with her wedding budget. One more money and time suck aahh!
I can't do much until I buy things. Wetting and drying the soil is gonna be a pain. I have a stack of wood to pick through but no rocks and it's kinda hard to find them in all these feet of snow! Probably gonna be a slow build.

Following yet another build thread. Picking up bits and pieces from each one. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok here's some pics. Before, and then the stand after. It's got an ocean view aquariums sticker on it. Pretty thick glass. Still working on cleaning. It's going in next to my shellies :p

Found a pic on Instagram of a guy who had cryptocoryne parva in a tank with CFLs and no CO2 so I'm pretty optimistic about that choice after chatting with him a bit :)

Found a pic on Instagram of a guy who had cryptocoryne parva in a tank with CFLs and no CO2 so I'm pretty optimistic about that choice after chatting with him a bit :)

Nice. I had that plant when I was using less powerful lighting and no CO2. I was disappointed. Lack of patience for sure on my part. It should do better in my current setup.

Yeah he said not to flood it with light and that it's a really slow grower and easily gets algae, he had luck alongside some fast growing plants, which is fine with me as long as it doesn't die. Not sure if I'll even be able to find it.

If your willing to pay for it, you can buy remineralized topsoil at bamaplants.com. I bought some and used it in several new tanks. The color of my plants exploded about one week after I set up the tank. Unfortunately that tank experienced a catastrophic structural failure and had to be replaced (see pic). Someone actually gave me a replacement 55g tank 2 days later and I was able to remove the substrate without disturbing the layers of rmts, sand, and flourite. But I digress...

There is also the option of diy root tabs to complement your rmts. I use capsules filled with osmocote plus and/or root growth hormone. Bamaplants will take care of you, just let them know what you need.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150220_100917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150220_100917.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20150220_100958.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150220_100958.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Timber!
I have another plant now on the me-wanty list: pogostemon helferi
Edit: ok duh this seems to be the downoi Brookster mentioned. Just confirms he knows what I should do :)

Downoi is a fun little plant! Looks like side show bobs hair :)

Another fun little app is aqua enlightenment. It has most aquarium plants and mosses in its database and gives you the plants basic needs. It will also tell you whether its for novices or experts.

Back
Top Bottom