72G FW Adventure - Want to come too...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lighting

So the Finnex light fixtures have been recommended by a couple of people here. The Fuge Ray (mid-lower light) for my depth (22"), out of stock til March in the 48" and the Ray2 (higher light).

I don't want to be fighting algae for just having my light on for normal amounts of time during the day.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

The other option is 2 24" fixtures which does end up costing more due to two separate units.

I asked this question before and never got a response. Any one use a sealed/water tight LED under the edge of the tank for a little extra oompf, in the light department. Any body ever use the sealed lights in the water in the bottom shooting up? to get a better light saturation?

My idea to add a light to the lower back with stick on mounting tape won't work on this tank as it has a black back glass!

New fish

So I have a 4 new Koi Angelfish babies, and a Reticulated Hill Stream Loach.
They really are very orange! The pic is low quality and really where they are shiny golden silver in the pic it is orange.

60074-albums11380-picture51752.jpg
[/IMG]

So far things seem good.

I got a Horned Nerite but decided since he was darker grey, I put him into my other tank with light colored sand and lighter rocks so I could see him better for awhile, he is the size of a garbanzo bean.

So I moved around a couple plants. Cleaned up some dead leaves.

I am still trying to figure the best placement of my Fert tabs, the Ferka Stemma and Rosetta.

Probably put them in in the morning, at least a few, but the problem is I will probably forget where I put them, so maybe make map! lol The start working in 15 minutes! So no moving them!

The center root ball driftwood needs to be hung from the center it keeps slipping and I am worried for the life of the fish, I certainly don't want one squished.

That actually happened to me before with a goldfish in my pond which happened to get stuck under the wood and punctured with a twig and died before I realized what had happened. :nono::banghead:

Snails don't look like they hatched yet, but I now have a new egg pod, so there are two! One of the guppies just popped out a bunch of babies this afternoon.

The Hill Stream Loach is so cute, I can tell I will want a few more of those if he does alright. He looks supper happy! Saw him nibbling a sinking wafer.

He blinks with both eyes at the same time and it is toooooo cute.

Put in the two 6" & 7" Siamese Algae Eaters, and the Harlequin Rasboras today, and a couple of Cardinals got in with the scoop. Wow!!! Are they amazing in there, only two but they really light up the tank. They are really going to make the tank stunning.

The Von Rio Tetra are kind of disappearing in there so I may move them to the 37G.

It is starting to come together, I will see if I can get a good pic, the lighting is just bad.

If you can get a pic of your Hillstream loach would love to see it, think those guy's are cute!

It's when we were first putting him in to get him acclimated!

It is the only one I had handy, will get a better one for you. He was soo happy scooting around the driftwood, the rock, ate a wafer, and was also on the glass, so making itself at home!!!

60074-albums11380-picture51838.jpg
[/IMG]

It's when we were first putting him in to get him acclimated!

It is the only one I had handy, will get a better one for you. He was soo happy scooting around the driftwood, the rock, ate a wafer, and was also on the glass, so making itself at home!!!

[/IMG]

He's lovely! Really like those guy's sooo cute, now I want one lol

Thought the snail eggs should have hatched by now but, not as of yesterday. Maybe they got too dry. We have very low humidity here, but I would have thought in the tank it would be enough.

Fish seem happy, going to do water tests tonight after daughters b-day dinner.

It has been a while and the 1st snail pod looked like maybe a couple snails came out, but haven't seen any babies. Pod number two, I broke off and put it on top of the driftwood.

So I could fill up the tank some more than before.

Also have one sad little fish I posted for help in unhealthy fish, Harlequin Rasbora has a bloated tummy.

Didn't see any stringy poop or things coming out of it, white spots. Maybe internal parasites. Was wondering too if its eggs bound up. I haven't had experience with either of these things before.

60074-albums11380-picture52488.jpg
[/IMG]

Changed the light bulb from the Sun-Glo 4200K to the Aqueon 6500K.

Tested the water and had

7.5pH

>.25 ammonia
0 Nitrites
20-30 Nitrates

Did pwc
had
>5 Nitrates

60074-albums11380-picture52489.jpg
[/IMG]

Added two Amano shrimp from the old tank and acclimated them for an hour. They seemed good.

Your tank is really cool. I love all the driftwood and plants! From what I've read you have quite the variety of fish stocked in there. Is everyone getting along fine?

Your harlequin rasboras are much bigger than mine. I recently purchased mine so they are pretty young but are loving the tank.

That loach looks pretty killer! Did you end up taking any more pics of him?!?

Your tank is really cool. I love all the driftwood and plants! From what I've read you have quite the variety of fish stocked in there. Is everyone getting along fine?

Your harlequin rasboras are much bigger than mine. I recently purchased mine so they are pretty young but are loving the tank.

That loach looks pretty killer! Did you end up taking any more pics of him?!?

:thanks:

So far everyone seems happy together.

The blue gourami, is 6 inches and huge. Never seen it try and bite or scare anybody. One of the guppies had a ton of babies, and figured they would be sashimi, but it seems there are still a bunch of them so I don't think it even ate any!

Koi Angels are babies, I love them, a lot, but I really am raising them for my mom's 60 gallon tank. So maybe I will keep one or two, when they grow up, depends on behavior. Like the fish to all get along. :D

The Clown Loach went to a member from here with a beautiful tank! And around a dozen others in a 110G!

The Red Tail shark is the one I was worried about. Never seen actual aggression from her. When the Siamese Algae eater is darting around a lot, it seems to annoy the RTS which usually is doing its patrol of the tank bottom but in a slower laid back way, or just hiding, it will butt the SAE or block its path, like leave me alone, or, rarely, chase it off from her hide-y hole! But no chomping or biting action!!!

Still seeing what works best in the tank.

It is so dark in the tank, I will be moving the rest of the Cardinals over there and will add whoever makes it from the 9 blue Tetras when they get out of QT. I think is just what it needs to brighten it up!

The guppies will come out and, maybe except my couple favorites. I think some Glowlight tetras got in there and a couple of black Skirts, I will put them back into the 37G. Also move the two Swordtails out and back to the 37G.

The male Spotted Red Swordtail is probably the most aggressive fish in there he chases everything like they don't belong there! lol

"Angel Fish" LOL

Not really!

One day I wasn't at home right after I got the 4 baby Koi Angel Fish, my (adult) daughter was there and I asked her to check the babies, and maybe take a pic as her phone camera is better than mine, and send it to me, so I could see how they were doing.

So she sent me this...titled "Two Angel Fish"

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg
[/IMG]

I was puzzled, as we were at the fish store together when we bought the real baby Koi Angels, for "Grammie".

After a couple days, I saw her and she starts ROFL, how'd you like your pic of the Angel fish...? So, I begin like a nice mother..."Honey, those fish you sent the picture of weren't the Angel Fish..." as she near literally is on the floor laughing now...I know she laughs, I just wanted to see what you'd say. More rofl!!! "I know they aren't Angel Fish, those two fish had a better picture so I sent you that one!!!"

So she was pulling my leg, hahaha!

She follows me along with the fish thing only to hang out, she's really not a fish person, so it was a little funny.

She for sure got a better laugh out of it than I did.

But it is a cute pic of the SAE hanging out together!

Oh, you can see how awesome the Eco-Complete substrate looks up close, too!!!

Too many little fish

So there are too many little fish in the tank now that I added 9 Blue Tetras.

Guess my Harlequin Rasbora laid eggs. She was super plump I think there is a pic of her in here and then I found eggs on some of the leaves. The fish must have eaten a bunch, she was HUGE! She is still alive and thinner now, so pretty sure she wasn't sick, lol

Will post more pics in a couple days of the tank.

Sorry for the delay!

The little crabs are doing good.

All of the fish seem healthy.

The Koi Angels are growing so fast, they are about 2x the size when I got them. The two are sooo orange and beautiful. The other two, smaller, look like they might be Calico Koi Angels. More lace on them, not as dark. Since they are smaller I believe they came from a different batch.

just call the lfs and they got more in, they said they requested them specifically, and were surprised when they got them! Normally don't get them. I would love to get 2 more bright orange, at least 85% orange.

Hadn't completely decided to add the Ferka Stemma and Rosetta ferts, but Some plants looked sad/weren't responding in quite the way I had hoped with the Eco-Complete (yet?)...so I put in a moderate quantity, to get the plants looking better.

Hoping for a new light very soon!!!

New pics next week!

Couple pics...

This is big claw with the Super big Claw. Half in and half out of the water. We thought we had a male and female but now maybe have two males. The "female" is getting a big claw now too and was waving it around as I understand the males do?!?

Big claw was at the top of the tank looking at his reflection waving at his reflection, I was rofl!

They are going to get an island this week and I hope they like it. They already go up the intake and outflow tubes, but I have them covered with cellophane wrap and duct taped on the back, double at the out flow tube, and tucked under the tank light fixture.

I have been wondering how I could make them a hamster tube beach saucer on top!!! I am developing an idea for a little acrylic box with a black back and clear sides with sand and a little gunny sack material to climb up into it on! They are amazing climbers!

Had him sitting on an Eel grass hammock the other day, lol!

60074-albums11380-picture53776.jpg
[/IMG]

The Koi Angels and friends, straight back behind the shark's fake log and the pale Blue Tetra, is little claw Fiddler, sitting on the intake for the filter.

60074-albums11380-picture53768.jpg
[/IMG]

Reticulated Hillstream Loach and one of the twin, No kidding, Siamese Algae Eaters

60074-albums11380-picture53760.jpg
[/IMG]

This is big claw with the Super big Claw. Half in and half out of the water. We thought we had a male and female but now maybe have two males. The "female" is getting a big claw now too and was waving it around as I understand the males do?!?

Big claw was at the top of the tank looking at his reflection waving at his reflection, I was rofl!

They are going to get an island this week and I hope they like it. They already go up the intake and outflow tubes, but I have them covered with cellophane wrap and duct taped on the back, double at the out flow tube, and tucked under the tank light fixture.

I have been wondering how I could make them a hamster tube beach saucer on top!!! I am developing an idea for a little acrylic box with a black back and clear sides with sand and a little gunny sack material to climb up into it on! They are amazing climbers!

Had him sitting on an Eel grass hammock the other day, lol!

[/IMG]

The Koi Angels and friends, straight back behind the shark's fake log and the pale Blue Tetra, is little claw Fiddler, sitting on the intake for the filter.

[/IMG]

Reticulated Hillstream Loach and one of the twin, No kidding, Siamese Algae Eaters

[/IMG]

Great pics, didn't know you had a crab! Your angels are beautiful would love one of those in my EN tank. And your loach so cute with his pal lol your tank looks great it's really come on well I'm jealous:)

Great pics, didn't know you had a crab! Your angels are beautiful would love one of those in my EN tank. And your loach so cute with his pal lol your tank looks great it's really come on well I'm jealous:)

Thank you.

The crabs were something we had been thinking about a while back and my daughter really wanted them after being told they were really completely aquatic, I said yes and we got them. But they aren't completely aquatic so I was going to take them back when I had the idea that if the driftwood could stick out a little they should be fine.

The shrimp guy at the lfs SAYS his are three years old and have lived in the water the whole time...

We are looking for a cork floating island. So far I have only run into 2-3 feet long ones made for turtles. Maybe online. or the little beach thing on top, lol!

The Koi Angels are pretty fair quality. In person they are more colorful than in the picture. I wanted to get some from an online breeder which have extremely beautiful 85%+ orange ones, shipping is about what I paid for all four of them ($40.)

They are really for my mum, when she moves here this summer. Want them for her so she can breed them. She lives in another state. She tank raises pond Koi for her local fish store till they get larger, but then, she gets attached to them and doesn't want to let them go.

Her favorite pond Koi are the orange and black, so when I saw the Koi Angel fish, I got the idea, and she liked it! Hope to get her 4-6 more high quality ones so she can get a couple pair going. Then I will keep one or a few depending upon their temperament.

Well I have added a bunch of new plants in the tank.

Many are cuttings and a few are from the Top Fin pre packaged bag with a little box around it, some were rooted cuttings!

There are so many!!!

Here is a list of them

2 stems of bacopa
6 stems of rotala
2 stems of Ludwigia peruensis
5 stems of pogostemon yatabeanus
and a stem of hygro kompaca
and a couple stems of ludwigia repens

Anubias Nana Petite

Ludwigia Repens from a different source, leaves looked a little different...
Ludwigia Colorata

Pogostemon Helferi
Staurogyne Repens

Have to locate my Fertilizer capsules, and add some in and going to order Glut to mix my own and some more Flourish.

Do you have any pictures of the tank? :)

Yes, here is one and I have the new plants too.
60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture58389.jpg

All but two sprigs of the Downoi are gone, someone loves eating it!
60074-albums12694-picture58358.jpg

This is the Downoi in the center and the Staurogyne Repens on each side, the little sprigs in the foreground.

60074-albums12694-picture58360.jpg

Here is a bad pic of my big gourami and bigger Angel

60074-albums11380-picture56749.jpg

And this is the Angels when they were smaller. - and some other fish, my fiddler crab in the back and my hand!

60074-albums11380-picture53768.jpg

Grandma snail with a hitch hiker!

60074-albums11380-picture51091.jpg

Here is before the pic in the beginning of this post. The first pic is the cleaned, up mini makeover.

60074-albums11380-picture52489.jpg

Back
Top Bottom