75 gal planted tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gboduszek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. So I have a 40 gal planted tank up right now with low maine. plants such like anubias, crypts, and some java moss but I am going to upgrade to a 75 gal since i think it is time to give my smaller elephant nose a bigger home. As weird as it may be I began this hobby with reef systems and am very knowledgable there but not as much with planted tanks. I would like to take the next step and keep a few tougher plants such like some swords but I am not sure what all I will need. I plan on running 2 55 gal canister filters but I have some further questions:

-for the substrate what is the benefit with using specialized plant substrates? will it remove the need for root tabs? and if i did use it, do they sell it in a fine sand form which i would need for my elephant nose?

-for lighting, is there any cheap LED fixtures i could use or is T5HO still the standard in planted aquariums. I assume the ebay LED's i use on my reef won't work..

Thanks for your input and and suggestions are welcome.

I'd get the fine grade eco complete and a Finnex Planted+. If budget is a problem, you could use the eco as a cap to a layer of miracle gro organic.. But I'd just go full EC as i haven't tried going "dirted." Swords and crypts are heavy root feeders so root tabs will still benefit them with an all EC substrate (maybe not so much needed with a dirted tank).

I have four freshwater planted tanks and used to use eco-complete which worked fine. My tanks are now all dirted capped with eco-complete or fluorite. I have a 75gal, 20gal,29gal and 2gal desktop tank. There is so much more growth with dirt, I would never go back. I did mix red clay in with the dirt and clay spikes under the amazon swords which are heavy root feeders. You can also cap the dirt with pea gravel, this is much cheaper and better with organic dirt.

thanks for the suggestions. with the dirt capped with the eco-complete does water clarity become an issue at all? also for lights do you guys have any suggestions? is T5HO still the way to go or are there some cheaper LED's i could use for the planted tank?

last, which color substrate do you all prefer most of the time, black or a natural brown color?

also would seachem flourite work instead of the eco-complete? I couldn't find the eco-complete in a sand form which i need for my elephant nose

with the finnex fixture would just 1 48" fixture doe or would i need 2 fixtures?

The dirted tank will cloud up, but with a few water changes that takes care of it. Also when you move plants around you will stir up some cloudiness but it settles down. On my 75 gal I have two fixtures, both 48 inch, one is a two bulb t8 65k home depot fixture and bulbs and the other is a two bulb t5ho grow light with 65k bulbs. You don't need both these fixtures. The important thing is the dirt, you will be able to grow swords, wisteria, Anubis, red tiger lotus, star grass. I will post pictures of my tanks asap.

with the finnex fixture would just 1 48" fixture doe or would i need 2 fixtures?

With your current stock of low light plants, 1 Finnex fixture should do. If you get a 2nd Finnex, you'll most likey need CO2 or Glut to avoid algae, but you'd be able to grow a whole lot more.

My Dirted Tanks

Dirted tanks with organic soil capped with fluorite and or ecco complete or pea gravel.

Attachments

• 2 gal.JPG
    2 gal.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 29 gal.JPG
    29 gal.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20 gal.JPG
    20 gal.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 75 gal.JPG
    75 gal.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 117
nice tanks molly100a! i think i am going to try out the dirted method and see how it goes! how thick of a layer of miracle bro would you all suggest and then how thick of a layer of fluorite or eco complete? also if any of you know of a link to natural colored fourite or eco complete SAND i'd really appreciate it. all I can find is fluorite black sand.

also do I NEED a CO2 system? and if so could someone point me in the direction of an affordable system. I've never used one before..

Here's when you'll need CO2 if you decide to go the Finnex route.

With your current stock of low light plants, 1 Finnex fixture should do. If you get a 2nd Finnex, you'll most likey need CO2 or Glut to avoid algae, but you'd be able to grow a whole lot more.

If you get any other lighting, whether it be LED or T5HO, I say CO2 will help you out so much "if" your light intensity is moderate to high light. For one, you'll be able to grow more demanding plants like carpeting foreground plants, and two you'll be able to help prevent/reduce algae. But keep in mind, the other component to this puzzle is a comprehensive fertilizer regimen like PPS-Pro or EI dosing (ie. Dry ferts from GLA). There's tons of threads on these topics online, just search for them if you wanna learn.

In terms of lighting, especially LED... look for PAR values. This helps measure in what light category you'll be in. BuildMyLED.com has great learning resources to look at. Also all their fixtures have great PAR value charts to help. Most of Finnex's line also have PAR values available.

In terms of CO2, Aquatek premium regulator with solenoid is a decent quality budget friendly system to buy. I'd get a 5 or 10# cylinder, drop checker (w/ 4 dkh reference solution), CO2 tubing, and diffuser and you'd be good to go. Just do some research and reading on CO2. This topic has been raised countless times in planted tank threads.

Otherwise, if you stick to low light you won't need CO2 and extra ferts.

Last edited:
I don't use CO2 in these tanks, I have used DIY CO2 in the past. The lights I have now I don't think are in the high range. As far as how much dirt, my tanks have at least 1 inch of dirt with 1.5 to 2 inches of cap. Check out Dustin's You Tube videos or check out Aquatic Jungles, he has so much information, that's where I learned about dirting a tank.

so i'm going to buy the dirt tomorrow for my tank. is there any thing i should be looking for especially or anything I should be sure to stay away from in terms of chemicals and such added into the dirt

Just make sure it's Organic dirt or soil, most of the people here use miracle grow, but you can use anything thats organic . Can't wait to see your tank, post pics.

When you put it in the tank, make sure all the small twigs are removed and crumble up any dirt clumps. Then soak the dirt and mix it around making sure it's completely soaked. Level it out before you cap it. You will have to drain and fill it probably three times or until it's as clear as you can get it. There will be some cloudiness but that will clear up within a few days. After you cap it you can load it up with plants.

ok so I ran into a few dilemmas with the tank I was getting. Ended up getting a 55 instead of the 75 but I am just about to leave to grab the dirt. Once I put the dirt in and soak it do I cap it and then do the 3 water changes/rinses to clear it up, or do I do the water changes/rinses before i cap the dirt?

Yes, after you get the dirt soaked, cap it. When you fill it up try not to disturb the capping as this will stir up dirt. Use a saucer or plate by placing it on the capping and running the water on the plate. It will could up, I would fill it up, wait 1 day and then drain and fill. You may not have to drain and fill several times. After your satisfied with the level of cloudiness start planting. You can load it up with plants because it will take some time before the ammonia is at 0. Make sure you test it before putting any fish in.

Ok so I know it's been a while but I finally go the money and have put in the order for everything I'll need for the tank. While I'm waiting, I'm gonna go ahead and put the dirt in and rinse it a few times until the fluorite comes in to cap it. I went and bought 2 types of dirt since I didn't know what would be best and thought maybe you guys could help. Here's the 2 types..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402355800.113744.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402355818.704931.jpg

One is just organic potting soil and the other is potting soil with miracle grow in it. Keep in mind I am putting a few sensitive fish in the tank so I don't want to use anything that will damage they're health. I know it will take some extra care to keep clean with the dirt but I'm pretty rigorous with water conditions and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom