75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very very very easy peel the old trim off get new trim put some silicone in the grove and press your tank into it easy breezy and the trim piece is cheap probably 20$ for a 40 gallon

And if you do decide to get a new 75 before you store it rub some Vaseline on the seals and wrap it up with plastic this will keep the seals brand new just be sure to give it a good wash when you decide to set up again

Well good news, my birthday is coming up and my parents are talking about buying me a new fish tank! Hurray! They have not said what size there are willing to get me but I think it is a 90 gallon.

fishfanatic said:
Well good news, my birthday is coming up and my parents are talking about buying me a new fish tank! Hurray! They have not said what size there are willing to get me but I think it is a 90 gallon.

Wow! Hopefully you'll get it. My parents would never get me a tank that size!

Hurray! Now I have a decision to make, should I use the overflow or not? Could I put my intake of my fluval 305 in it (with the two drilled holes corked)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110910_160821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110910_160821.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 54
fishfanatic said:
Hurray! Now I have a decision to make, should I use the overflow or not? Could I put my intake of my fluval 305 in it (with the two drilled holes corked)

If it is there I would use it I think the big decision is salt or no salt lol

ryan-peddle said:
If it is there I would use it I think the big decision is salt or no salt lol

No salt, salt water intimidates me. I don't know why but it is just so overwhelming to me.

I was reading the lable on the tank and it says the tank has a lifetime warranty but, you have one of three brands of stand or the warranty is void. Should I go buy one of those stands or should I just use my uncles homemade stand that I currently have?

So this is my plan, I want to cork both of the drilled holes in the tank. I then want to use the over flow with my canister filter (I will have the input hose going into the overflow and the output outside the overflow. Does this sound like a good plan? The overflow is rated at 600 gph (I think) and the canister filter is rated at 260 gph.

Now the main question how can I cork the drilled holes? I don't want to permanently cork them because some day I will go saltwater. Any suggestions? I did some research and lots of places said to use bulkheads, is this the best way?

I'll agree with the bulkheads and then capping them off. If I recall correctly, there is actually a capping bulkhead out there. I'll have to fine the link.

Maybe I am worng but cant you hook up the canister to a bulk head? But to be honest with you since it is drilled and the tank is 90 gallons you should just put a sump on it. Yea planted tanks and sump not good. but if the sump has a lid you get less co2/oxygen exchange in there. I say this cause that fluval 305 you have wont keep that tank nice and clean.

Valous said:
Maybe I am worng but cant you hook up the canister to a bulk head? But to be honest with you since it is drilled and the tank is 90 gallons you should just put a sump on it. Yea planted tanks and sump not good. but if the sump has a lid you get less co2/oxygen exchange in there. I say this cause that fluval 305 you have wont keep that tank nice and clean.

The fluval 305 would definitely NOT be enough filteration, I am going to run 2 filters on this tank one Fluval FX5 and one Fluval 305. As far as a sump goes I already have one (my uncle built it out of a 10 gallon tank for the 75 gallon he gave me). Should I use all 3 filters?

a fx5 should be enough for that tank. but that just my opinon.

Valous said:
a fx5 should be enough for that tank. but that just my opinon.

So here is my little problem that I am fixing with 2 filters. I have an inline co2 reactor for the fluval 305. I built an inline co2 reactor for the fluval fx5 but in latter research I found that the reactor would have to be very long (the fx5 has a lot of water flow).
So I am basically just using the 305 as a co2 defuser (I will of course still have filter media in it). And you can never have too much filteration. Lol

Well u can use both then and should keep even a heavy stocks tank clean. Keep the pictures coming.

Valous said:
Well u can use both then and should keep even a heavy stocks tank clean. Keep the pictures coming.

Well as of now there is nothing to take a picture of. I am waiting till I can get some bulkheads to cork the 2 holes. After I get them then I will start to fill the tank and I will post lots of pictures. :D

Does home depot or Lowes sell anything that will work like a bulkhead to cork the 2 holes?

Back
Top Bottom