75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this kind of cool textured paint that looks like a rock. I sprayed some on some card board. Which one would look best?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_162209.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_162209.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
Sorry it only attached one of the pictures. Here is the other one

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_162411.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_162411.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 94
I just finished painting it! It looks better in person. I am happy with it, thanks for helping me make up my mind :D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110804_173615.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110804_173615.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20110804_173659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110804_173659.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
I have a concern, some over spray got on my filter in and out puts. Will they be ok after a few days of drying? Should I try cleaning it off with paint thinner (or is the paint thinner more toxic than the paint). Ahhhh! I wish I would have been smart enough to move them!

I went to the LFS yesterday to buy a glass top for the tank and I found out that this tank is really old. The employees at the store said that tanks without a center brace is a old school tank. Should I be concerned about using this tank (it still isn't set up)? Would I be better off just buying a new one? Thanks!

fishfanatic said:
I went to the LFS yesterday to buy a glass top for the tank and I found out that this tank is really old. The employees at the store said that tanks without a center brace is a old school tank. Should I be concerned about using this tank (it still isn't set up)? Would I be better off just buying a new one? Thanks!

Not all mine is a newer 80 gallon without a brace you can still buy them I hate the center brace had to vacuum hard to aquascape and hard to net fish if you ever have to consider yourself lucky there is no brace

ryan-peddle said:
Not all mine is a newer 80 gallon without a brace you can still buy them I hate the center brace had to vacuum hard to aquascape and hard to net fish if you ever have to consider yourself lucky there is no brace

No brace does seem like a bonus. But I am still concerned about the possible age of the aquarium. How old is too old for an aquarium to be safe?

I finally got the tank set up! But I have another question, how far is too far for the front of the tank to flex out? In the middle of the tank it is flexing out about 2-3 mm. Is that anything to be worried about? Also here is a fts

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110908_065343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110908_065343.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 98
ryan-peddle said:
2-3 mm hmmmm I think it will be ok but I don't really want to see it bow at all is there anyway you can make a brace ?

I am trying to brainstorm a way I could add a brace to the tank. I am thinking that I could use some kind of car strap or something. I just don't think it will help that much, any ideas?

Does it have a center brace? If not does it look like its supposed to have one? If so you can add a piece of glass 2-3" wide under the trim were the brace is supposed to be

Valous said:
Does it have a center brace? If not does it look like its supposed to have one? If so you can add a piece of glass 2-3" wide under the trim were the brace is supposed to be

It doesn't have a center brace and there is no sign of breakage were there may have been one. The glass of the aquarium is very think (I am not home right now but I would guess like 1/2 of an inch thick).

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
Mine is almost exactly the same as your but no bow at all i am puzzled are you sure it wasn't bowed before filling?

I didn't check to see if it was bowing before I filled it up. The only reason that I now know it is bowing is that I put a glass top on the tank and it does not fit flush with the trim on the tank. I am currently draining the tank to 50% and I am going to see if that changes anything. I am debating just buying a new tank just for the peace of mind...

Back
Top Bottom