75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
I didn't check to see if it was bowing before I filled it up. The only reason that I now know it is bowing is that I put a glass top on the tank and it does not fit flush with the trim on the tank. I am currently draining the tank to 50% and I am going to see if that changes anything. I am debating just buying a new tank just for the peace of mind...

Yea I would do exactly the same thing.

The tank is now at 75% water and the bow is about 1/8 of an inch in the center. (It was 1/8 of an inch when the water level was 100%). So here is a new question, what size tanks have a footprint 48" by 18"?

fishfanatic said:
The tank is now at 75% water and the bow is about 1/8 of an inch in the center. (It was 1/8 of an inch when the water level was 100%). So here is a new question, what size tanks have a footprint 48" by 18"?

Here are similar sizes if your looking to reuse your stand
l x w x h
33 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 12 7/8
40 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8
45 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 19
55 Gallon 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 25
60 Gallon 48 3/8 x 12 7/8 x 23 7/8
80 X-High 48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4

75 Gallon 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8
90 Gallon 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8
110 X-High 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4

From experience, 75 gallons is a lot of water to have on your floor at one time....

Bite the bullet. Sell the old ones as a reptile tank on CL, and buy a new one. It will at least remove that nagging doubt in your head, wondering if the tank is going to suddenly explode.

My 75 wasn't even bowing(at least that I could see) and emptied itself randomly....Not something I wish upon anyone :banghead:

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
Here are similar sizes if your looking to reuse your stand
l x w x h
33 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 12 7/8
40 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8
45 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 19
55 Gallon 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 25
60 Gallon 48 3/8 x 12 7/8 x 23 7/8
80 X-High 48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4

75 Gallon 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8
90 Gallon 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8
110 X-High 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4

Good job Ryan, it wasn't metric! Haha good job for real

Could a fluval FX5 and a fluval 305 handle a 110 gallon?

**edit** by the way thank you everyone for all your help!

Thanks deckape

Depending on what your stocking with if you were doing a small fish community tank the fx5 would handle it alone as you increase the bio load you want to increase filtration I always run an extra canister for extra media so I have it on hand for my ever growing tank collection

ryan-peddle said:
Thanks deckape

Depending on what your stocking with if you were doing a small fish community tank the fx5 would handle it alone as you increase the bio load you want to increase filtration I always run an extra canister for extra media so I have it on hand for my ever growing tank collection

I don't know what to do. In fact I am rather discouraged right now, I am sure that everyone has felt this way before. I want the tank but I know in the long run it is not the right choice. I am currently a junior in high school (I will be leaving for collage in 2 years, with no one to take care of the tanks). If you were me what would you do? Would you:
a) buy a new tank and set it up then disassemble it in 2 years.
b) buy the tank now and put it in storage to set up after collage.
c) wait to buy the tank till after college (probably 8-10 years down the road).

I would probably set it up and disassemble it. Put it in storage and maybe you could get a smaller tank in college? Then, when your all grown up and on your own set up the 75 again, but that's just me. It's probably not the most inexpensive method.

George9 said:
I would probably set it up and disassemble it. Put it in storage and maybe you could get a smaller tank in college? Then, when your all grown up and on your own set up the 75 again, but that's just me. It's probably not the most inexpensive method.

I would have to agree with George but I am a buy now think later guy

ryan-peddle said:
I would have to agree with George but I am a buy now think later guy

+1 lol. How much does the average 75 gallon tank cost? (Sorry I am so clueless)

George9 said:
I'd say $140-$170 give or take.

Really! wow that is a lot cheaper than I thought (I have never bought a new tank before). I have another question if I do decide to set the tank up before collage and then take it down will the tank be ok to sit there empty for 8+ years? (Possibly longer)

fishfanatic said:
Really! wow that is a lot cheaper than I thought (I have never bought a new tank before). I have another question if I do decide to set the tank up before collage and then take it down will the tank be ok to sit there empty for 8+ years? (Possibly longer)

That was an estimate, it could be a little more or a little less.

That's a good question, I guess it depends on how you store it. If you put it in a garage it will get bumped into alot. I'd say it should be fine wrapped up in the crawlspace/storage space. You'll have to inspect it in 8 years lol! And I thought waiting months waiting for a new tank sucked, :p

George9 said:
That was an estimate, it could be a little more or a little less.

That's a good question, I guess it depends on how you store it. If you put it in a garage it will get bumped into alot. I'd say it should be fine wrapped up in the crawlspace/storage space. You'll have to inspect it in 8 years lol! And I thought waiting months waiting for a new tank sucked, :p

Tell me about it! I hate this whole growing up thing! I am going to sit down and talk to my parents and see what they have to say about it. My bet is I stick to my current 40 gallon (which is falling apart, literally!) And my 7.9 gallon. Thanks for all your help and I will tell you guys my decision when I finally make up my mind. Thanks again!

fishfanatic said:
Tell me about it! I hate this whole growing up thing! I am going to sit down and talk to my parents and see what they have to say about it. My bet is I stick to my current 40 gallon (which is falling apart, literally!) And my 7.9 gallon. Thanks for all your help and I will tell you guys my decision when I finally make up my mind. Thanks again!

What's wrong with your 40 gallon?

George9 said:
What's wrong with your 40 gallon?

The plastic trim is almost completely gone on the bottom back half of the tank (aka disaster waiting to happen) eke!

fishfanatic said:
The plastic trim is almost completely gone on the bottom back half of the tank (aka disaster waiting to happen) eke!

YIKES! I cant even think about that, your even stressing me out! :|

George9 said:
YIKES! I cant even think about that, your even stressing me out! :|

Sorry for stressing you out. Maybe I could just put some new trim on my 40 gallon and then just forget about the 75 gallon. How hard is it to re-trim a tank?

fishfanatic said:
Sorry for stressing you out. Maybe I could just put some new trim on my 40 gallon and then just forget about the 75 gallon. How hard is it to re-trim a tank?

I was kidding about stressing me out! ;)

I've never retrimmed a tank or read about it, someone else has to chime in. Maybe Ryan Peddle knows.

Back
Top Bottom