75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To add more water to your tank so a small fluctuation in chemistry will be easier tolerated and a pump will return it to your main tank so it's also a good way to keep your filters hidden under you tank onto the sump

The only reason I don't want to use the sump is that it will off gas my co2 :(. I will probably set it up and see if it will off gas too much co2. As far as parts go I have no clue what they are called. I might have to talk to my uncle about how to set it up.
I don't think that all the filters, heaters and such would fit in this 10 gallon sump (along with any filteration material)... I will just have to see... :D

I think I am going to try and build a 'tree' in my tank! I have no clue how well it will work. and yes I realize the work/time it will take to make it look even half good, but I am going to try anyways ;)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110710_195502.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110710_195502.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 193
Any recommendations as to what moss to use? I think there would be long term benefits with a slow growing moss but there would be short term benefits to a fast growing moss. What are some fast amd some slow growing mosses?

I think weeping moss is the moss I want. Does anyone know were to buy true weeping moss?

Attachments

• images-7.jpeg
    images-7.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 278
fishfanatic said:
I think weeping moss is the moss I want. Does anyone know were to buy true weeping moss?

I am not sure what type of moss to use yet but I am starting to build this for my fluval chi tomorrow gonna go to the beach and pick up a nice little root system and research the type of moss I am gonna use I will post pics as I go this is exciting thanks for the great idea is there a link on how to build this puppy or was it just pictures?

ryan-peddle said:
I am not sure what type of moss to use yet but I am starting to build this for my fluval chi tomorrow gonna go to the beach and pick up a nice little root system and research the type of moss I am gonna use I will post pics as I go this is exciting thanks for the great idea is there a link on how to build this puppy or was it just pictures?

Here is the websie that I got the picture from http://www.my-mac.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5726&start=0 I didn't realize that tank was so small (if you look towards the bottom it has a FTS next to another tank)

I don't know if this tree thing will work out on a bigger scale? With my tank I was envisioning a fairly large tree that would take up most of the right side of the tank

**edit** I think the trick to this tree is the DW. I think it needs to have lots of 'branches' to support the moss (just a though)

Last edited:
I think it will work on a bigger scale just take a little longer for the moss to grow I would just cut the bottom square with a platform on the bottom and burry it in gravel

It's gonna work great for me cause I am gonna do it in my chi it's a 6.6 gallon tall tank with a planter box in the middle I am pumped to find the right driftwood

ryan-peddle said:
I think it will work on a bigger scale just take a little longer for the moss to grow I would just cut the bottom square with a platform on the bottom and burry it in gravel

It's gonna work great for me cause I am gonna do it in my chi it's a 6.6 gallon tall tank with a planter box in the middle I am pumped to find the right driftwood

I was reading and that big tank next to the tank with the tree is actually 76 gallons. (That tree is not near as small as it looks)

good thread , im gonna build me a planted 75 gall for angel fish after the first of the year , right now im working on a 20 gall neon tetra/ glow fish tank for my fiance

What would be the best Bio material to use in my fx5 filter? All I have ever used is biomax but then again I have only just recently started to use canister filters instead of HOB's

xwesx1978 said:
what filter are you looking at using ? im thinking a fluval 305

I will be running both an fx5 and a 305. Yesterday I went out and bought a bunch of biomax to fill two trays in my fx5 (wholly $$) lol

xwesx1978 said:
wow you dont think a 305 can get the job done alone , thing moves a alot of water

Realistically a 305 will only filter a tank of 55 gallons or less IMO. And you can never have too much filteration (once again IMO)

I have some questions about how to run 2 canister filters on 1 tank.
How should I position the in and out tubes? Should both the intakes be in the middle and the outputs of opposite sides of the tank for eachother (or the opposite of that?). Or should both intakes be on the same side of the tank and the outputs on the opposite side?

Back
Top Bottom