75g new tank stocking Severums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to the cichlid group so be gentle with me. I've recently discovered the severum fish and have fallen in love. My tank is new and I'm doing a fishless cycle so I am exploring stocking ideas. I'm aware of aqadvisor but wanted to ask this group how many severums I could stock in the 75 and is it ok to mix and match (gold, red, red headed etc)? I've got 2 canister filters, a bubbler, and do weekly WC as standard practice (I have MTS). I'd like to have a few fish in the tank to keep it interesting, ideas? Suggestions? I was thinking about getting yoyo loaches too, would they be compatible possibly (tank size may become an issue)? I would like to have 4-5 of them but aqadvisor is capping me at 3, wondering if the tank will be a bit boring? TIA

Sevs get big. With any large sa/ca ciclhid housing and clean water are God. I think it's technically to small but I have a 40b that most would call ridiculously stocked yet all the fish have grown inches in months. Feeding and wcs, it's so redundant at this point (sorry, it is...) you can keep these fish in the 75. If you slack on them they're going to suffer. It's a long term commitment. Growing them out is one thing, once they've grown they'll need freshwater to the tune of 50-70% 2 times a week. It would be easier to keep less fish or get a larger tank.

I had 5 in a 100 that only got occasional water changes. they're pretty forgiving. if you're personally picking them, get all females, or if you want to encourage spawning, only get one male.
males have the squiggles on their cheeks, females don't.
I'd say you have room for two and some other fish. Firemouths or something like them are good

75g get a pair and add dithers and some odd balls and you good. Just keep up on the filtration and WC.

I really wouldn't look to mix other cichlids with them, at least not any large ones.

Back
Top Bottom