75g Planted Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morning after... it's cleared up for the most part. Need to level out the EcoComplete. Also need to go to the store and pick up some rocks to weigh down the driftwood. May pick up some plants if they catch my eye, but plan to make a big order this next weekend after I get paid.

IMG_3849.jpgIMG_3850.jpg

Finally! You could use a credit card to smooth and grade the substrate.
An alternative to placing rocks above the DW to weigh it down is to tie some slate or similar material to the base.
What is on you plant shopping list? Sorry, did not scroll back to look it up in case you posted it already.

Finally! You could use a credit card to smooth and grade the substrate.
An alternative to placing rocks above the DW to weigh it down is to tie some slate or similar material to the base.
What is on you plant shopping list? Sorry, did not scroll back to look it up in case you posted it already.

Thanks for the tips! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

I have a pretty open mind to what to plant, but here's a shortlist of some of what I had in mind...

-Broadleaf Chain Sword
-Bacopa monnieri
-Corkscrew Val
-A. Reineckii
-Dwarf sag
-Staurogyne repens
-AR mini
-Blyxa Japonica
-Pogostemmon
-Hygrophila corymbosa

After a bit of staring at the tank I've noticed a few house guests I was not anticipating... pond snails. Guess they hitchhiked on the driftwood? Not sure how they managed to survive this long though. Upon further inspection there are over a dozen. One small one and the rest you have to almost squint to see.

After a bit of staring at the tank I've noticed a few house guests I was not anticipating... pond snails. Guess they hitchhiked on the driftwood? Not sure how they managed to survive this long though. Upon further inspection there are over a dozen. One small one and the rest you have to almost squint to see.

Assassin snails will take care of them I think? Also I'd save your money and not get the AR mini, you'll struggle to grow it without co2. It's more suited to high light setup's. The rest sounds great! Bolbitis and needle leaf Java are a great touch for driftwood. They tend u bush and grow through and around the wood. Makes for a really nice effect.

Also I'd slope the substrate from back to front (higher at the back) it tends to give the tank more depth when planted [emoji106] looking good!

Assassin snails will take care of them I think? Also I'd save your money and not get the AR mini, you'll struggle to grow it without co2. It's more suited to high light setup's. The rest sounds great! Bolbitis and needle leaf Java are a great touch for driftwood. They tend u bush and grow through and around the wood. Makes for a really nice effect.

Also I'd slope the substrate from back to front (higher at the back) it tends to give the tank more depth when planted [emoji106] looking good!

Ordered some Assassins from my local LFS, they didn't have any in stock but were happy to special order me some. Didn't see any plants from my list.l

Good to know about the AR mini, and thanks for the tip on the Bolbitus and Needle Leaf Java, I'll consider them...

Smoothed out the substrate, and I'm considering getting another bag or two of Eco Complete to create a stronger slope from back to front.

While I was out today I picked up a piece of slate to tie to the base of the driftwood. Got home and realized I was out of fishing line, so it's just sitting on top and weighing it down at the moment.

Ordered some Assassins from my local LFS, they didn't have any in stock but were happy to special order me some. Didn't see any plants from my list.l

Good to know about the AR mini, and thanks for the tip on the Bolbitus and Needle Leaf Java, I'll consider them...

Smoothed out the substrate, and I'm considering getting another bag or two of Eco Complete to create a stronger slope from back to front.

While I was out today I picked up a piece of slate to tie to the base of the driftwood. Got home and realized I was out of fishing line, so it's just sitting on top and weighing it down at the moment.

You can drill the slate and use stainless screws if you have any laying around? Might save u a trip to the shops [emoji106]

You can drill the slate and use stainless screws if you have any laying around? Might save u a trip to the shops [emoji106]

Good idea!! I'll do it tomorrow, my day off and Justin can help me find everything I need tonight. Lol

GE Silicone I (one)

It needs to set for at least 24 hours but I use it to keep slate structures together in my tank.

Just realized I forgot to post my water test results for the last couple days.

Day 1:
High Range pH was ~8.0-8.2
33zdvtg.jpg

Day 3:
n5na85.jpg

Now for a relaxing day at the beach and some time to think about scape ideas...
6yi1w2.jpg

I get the same magazine. Check out Practical Fishkeeping as well. I've gained valuable information from that magazine. You can find them at Barnes & Noble most of the time.

I get the same magazine. Check out Practical Fishkeeping as well. I've gained valuable information from that magazine. You can find them at Barnes & Noble most of the time.

That's actually where I got this one, lol. My friend wanted a book since I was dragging him to the beach. I'll look into that one as well, thanks!

Ordered some plants today... also picked up four harlequin rasboras since I plan to fish-in cycle. Also picked up my assassin snails for pest control. They are acclimating right now.

Been dosing Stability daily, testing water conditions every other day... feeling very optimistic!

Ordered some plants today... also picked up four harlequin rasboras since I plan to fish-in cycle. Also picked up my assassin snails for pest control. They are acclimating right now.

Been dosing Stability daily, testing water conditions every other day... feeling very optimistic!

Harlequin Rasboras are tougher than nails! Good pick. Eventually you'll be able to have a large group with that tank size.

Back
Top Bottom