8g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an 8g heavily planted tank. I want to house a betta in the tank...

but I was curious, can neon tetras live in an 8g tank?

I know there can be compatibility issue to have any fish live with a betta but I have heard quite a bit if positive feed back about bettas and neons.

my question is the tank big enough? also would it be better to put the neons in 1st?

if things don't work with the neons and the bettas (if I decide to put them together) I can put the neons in my community tank

the tank does have a filter, that was seeded with media from my other tank.

that you for the suggestion.. any opinion on the order in which I introduce them to the tank? I know beytas are territorial, so my thinking was if I add the other fish fish first then they could established some territory .. wait a while then add the betta.. or would it make no difference?

That would work just make sure that the tank is cycled if you add the neons first. they are quite picky when it comes with ammo and nitrite.

tank is cycled :) used media from my other tank.

how many neons do you suggest? since its only an 8g tank?

I have 8 in my 60g community so if things go south with the betta they will have more friends

calfishguy said:
I think six to eight depending on filtration but just the neons the Betta and perhaps some shrimp

oh definitely just them ! I was am being very carefull not to overstock ...

calfishguy said:
Okay are you thinking about shrimp because red cherries are nice

shrimp would be cool.. so I could have them with a betta and neons?

I was thinking either rcs or a snail or 2

Of course it isn't going to eat the ghost shrimp its too large
But an rcs can easily be eaten by a betta

They barely differ in size try with ghosts because they are half the price if it doesn't eat them get rid of them and get adult Rcs it is that simple. Ghost shrimp are not that big

There has been success with bettas and shrimp. I think with enough hiding it may work. I would try the ghost shrimp first, though. And if you don't want to have the hassle of trying out the shrimp, it will be a great setup without them too.

Ghost have a higher chance of survival than rcs when it comes to a betta
I know there's a difference in size since I keep both in the same tank

Back
Top Bottom