90 Gallon Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I have recently purchased a 90g setup. Right now it is up and running at a LFS and they are using it as a display. One of their prior customers got sick and had to sell it, so I'm the lucky owner.

What I will be setting up: 90g RR Tank. It does currently have 2 Korela power heads, a 2 part sump (one parts with live rock rubble and the other with a skimmer) then the return pump. It also has a sun dial 4x54 T5HO fixture. There is a skimmer rated for a 125g tank that is also included. UNK if any heaters are provided.

Couple things I plan on:
1) This will be a reef tank, but will start as a FOWLR
2) I am going to ditch the current stand and sump building my own stand and converting my current 55g freshwater tank into a sump.
3) Community tank with non-aggressive fish
4) I currently have a 2x54 T5HO light that I can add to the lighting that comes with the tank for a total of 6xT5HO.

I will not be moving this tank or setting it up in the new location for at least 1 month, possibly 2. The LFS will keep it up and running as a display tank during this time. When I get it there will be no live rock in the tank, only the stuff in the sump. They did say I can keep the 2" or so of sand currently in the tank (I'm on the fence because I have to cycle it anyway so I'm not worried about shifting it around and causing one, plus there are already a bunch of critters in there).

I have already started getting a list together with fish, I will post that up later.

I guess my biggest question new is how should I portion out my 55 for a sump? Also, should I think about using 1/3 to 1/2 of the 55 (which will be under the stand) as a quarantine tank and use the other 1/2 to 2/3 as the sump? I do have a 10g tank that I can use as a quarantine if needed.

If I use the entire 55g tank as a sump I would like to incorporate a fuge in there as well. I'm hoping that the existing pump will work with the new sump... I don't see why it wouldn't as the height from the new from from the old one will not be much (couple inches maybe) different. It is an in-sump pump, unk what type.

Right now I'm looking for setup ideas. I will have to buy base rock and live rock once I'm ready to set it up.

You can't use the sump as a QT because if you need to treat, you can't in the sump. The 10 gal is your best bet.

Adding compartments for the skimmer and refugium are your best bet. If done right, a good slimmer and refugium will seriously cut down on the nitrates and this water changes.

What I meant for the 55g QT was to section it completely off from the rest of the system with a water tight divider. Of course you never know... and it would be a big risk if something did leak through. I agree it is not a good idea, but I like to through multiple ideas out there :)

Back
Top Bottom