90 gallon setup and stocking mission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saucy840

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey again all.

My brother is giving me his 90 gallon tank so I need advice on what filters , lights , stocking and anything else you might want to share.What kind and how many filters would you choose? also what lights would you recommend? I plan on using sand substrate I know that much already haha. I currently own a 30g with 1 angel , 3 corys, 3 platies and 5 danios also 2 mystery snails. So I want to try some new fish but I'm not exactly sure what i wanna do that's why i need your ideas ! I was thinking a planted community maybe. What would you do with that choice? Was also thinking maybe bigger fish and more aggressive tank. then theres the idea for a single main fish like a nice eel or puffer but what kind of tank mates could I add with them?I'm not to sure yet so ill let everyone put there 2 cents in and let's see what kind of ideas you come up with.

So I hope you all join me on this journey and ill add pics as soon as I get the tank to my house as well as when it has cycles and when adding the fish

Thank you and happy holidays to everyone

Hey again all.

My brother is giving me his 90 gallon tank so I need advice on what filters , lights , stocking and anything else you might want to share.What kind and how many filters would you choose? also what lights would you recommend? I plan on using sand substrate I know that much already haha. I currently own a 30g with 1 angel , 3 corys, 3 platies and 5 danios also 2 mystery snails. So I want to try some new fish but I'm not exactly sure what i wanna do that's why i need your ideas ! I was thinking a planted community maybe. What would you do with that choice? Was also thinking maybe bigger fish and more aggressive tank. then theres the idea for a single main fish like a nice eel or puffer but what kind of tank mates could I add with them?I'm not to sure yet so ill let everyone put there 2 cents in and let's see what kind of ideas you come up with.

So I hope you all join me on this journey and ill add pics as soon as I get the tank to my house as well as when it has cycles and when adding the fish

Thank you and happy holidays to everyone

Hey! I am no help on the lights but for filtration you'll need a good canister filter. Maybe a fluval canister filter? I've never had one so I don't know. If you want a community but with some aggressive fish you might be able to do this:
A angel pair
10 Cories ( depending which ones you have)
3 platies
8 danios
Then I haven't had experience with these but possibly a peacock eel ( hopefully someone wil chime in on this.)
Then maybe for a centrepiece you could do a pair of kribs?
You could add a school of cherry barbs or a school of 4 Denison barbs.

I'm actually a big fan of going the other way with the stocking and getting a BIG school of something tiny like tetras. I love the look of a huge ball of tiny fish and I don;t really see it done too often. Most big tanks I see a full of big fish. Booooor-ing! :D

I'm actually a big fan of going the other way with the stocking and getting a BIG school of something tiny like tetras. I love the look of a huge ball of tiny fish and I don;t really see it done too often. Most big tanks I see a full of big fish. Booooor-ing! :D

You need to Becareful when it comes to tiny fish. Stay away from neon tetras or anything their size because once the angel gets big enough the neons will become lunch. serape tetras can be nippy but they add a nice splash of color to a tank and they school very well, but as long as you get 6+ the nipping should be kept inside the school (I have serpaes, 6 of them, and they only chase and nip inside the school and bother no one else) and you definitely have room for more than 6!

Alright I know this is a wide list but I made a complete list of any possible fish I might want to add but before i do I want to see what everyone thinks and ideas on what they would choose as a community or more of a solo fish . I would want my community to be very colorful also.

For non community tank I like.

African leaf fish
Dwarf puffer
Ghost knife
Some kind of eel

My questions are what else would be compatible 2 go along with each of those from. my next list of fish I like or maybe some you know that I havnt listed

Here's the rest of em .

Boesemani rainbow
Albino corys
Angel
Zebra danio / long fin
Cardinal tertra
Black lyretail Molly
Harlequin rasbora
Red tail shark
Albino rainbow shark
High fin sword tail
Pleco
Birchir
Gold dust Molly
Flame gourami
Dwarf gourami
Black kuhli loach
Clown loach
Dojo loach
Whip tail cat
Reticulated hillstream loach
Rams

Ok so what would you stock with? What type of community would work and what's compatable. Give me your list from what I've listed and help me out!

Come on guys and gals what would your stock be what's your ideal lineup,, input! Input!

I personally would like a dwarf puffer.. i always watch those lil guys at the pet stores but i think u cant add anything with them bc the puffer would eat it... that being said i wouldnt want that big of a tank for 1 fish.. before i decided to put african cichlids n my 55G i was thinking of addin the clown or kuhli loaches bc i thought they were neat along with some von rio tetras , harlequin rasboras and a pair of rams ..i also like doing bigger groups n wanted to do 2 different ones..since i changed directions i cant really give any personal input on the nature of any fish on ur list .. filteration wise i currently have 2 hob filters 1 bio wheel 200 n 1 top fin 60 but im fixin to buy a canister n retire prolly my top fin..

Edited: i also like the bleeding heart tetras. They just catch my eye for some reason.. makes me want to get out my 60G out of the shed.. :)

In a 90g you could do a really neat rainbowfish tank. There are many very colorful rainbowfish. My favorites are Iranian Reds and Orange Albino Millenium Rainbowfish,Orange Albino Millenium Rainbow - Medium Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale . Then you could probably do one of the small eels (don't know much about them but many here keep them). Or you could do some of the cool Loaches. I have Yo-yo loaches and they are so active and always into something.

Whats up everyone happy to be back !! , So I Am going to get the tank tomorrow and its not a 90 its a 75 but only difference is in height so im not worried at all. I will post some pictures of the tank before and after i clean it. It has been sitting in my brothers extra room for awhile. Im not sure if its normal but the glass on this tank is 1/2 thick thing is so heavy. Anyway i plan to have sand and go planted at some point or maybe before the fish im not sure but i want to get your thoughts on this stocking list with the color of the fish,, im trying to have lots of color.

1 angel - black/silver
6 platy - Red/ Orange
6 albino cory - pinkish
8 zebra danio ( maybe mixxed with long fin zebras ) - silver/blue
2 dwarf gourami - blue/orange
5 boesemani rainbows ( have to order online not sure i can find in my area, so they may be added late ) -blue/orange/yellow
5 molly - black/yellow/orange

AquStockImage.php

im not sure if its final but it just might be. I want to know what you think. And also what plants to add im just going to have normal cfl lights and florescent lights maybe upgrade to led later. What would you add for loaches , im trying to stray away from pleco due to how messy they can be but ill take ideas. Ideas on some inverts would be appreciated also guys.

so excited !!!!!

Looks fine to me but instead of danio's I'd do cardinals or rummynose tetras because IMO they have more color especially cardinals. With an angel in the tank shrimp are pretty much out of the question. If you have a ton of plants the angel can't get down into you could try some ghost shrimp and see how it goes. I keep ghost shrimp in with my 12 angels and as long as they stay in the deep plant cover they are fine, but if they get out in the open they are usually angel food.

Hmm they would also look nice im sure i could add some or down the number of danios a few to add tetras also.

My ride had problems on yesterday and we were unable to transport the tank and dresser it will be on and then today due to weather we had to cancel again because i don't want to risk carrying that tank down stairs in the snow.So hopefully tomorrow or within the next few days i will have it. I was going to wait to set it up till i completed the redesign of my room but im going to set it up the same day my new 32" led lcd comes in. Pictures will be added also.

What about some rams in the mix maybe take 2 molly's out or all of them if needed because i really love the way the rams look , and i think they shouldn't have a problem with any of the tank mates or am i wrong?

2 rams would be fine and taking out the molly's is actually a good idea as they are messy fish with a high bioload.

just for some setup ideas for you here is what i used to have on/in my 90gal.
48-60 inch marineland single bright led - gets plenty of light to the bottom, but i dont have any live plants either.
ac-110 hob filter
cascade 1000 canister filter
theo 300 heater

for stock i used to have 30 tiger barbs, 8 emerald corys a 9 inch pink kissing gourami and a common pleco. the tiger barbs were a mix of normal, albino and green, they were quite a sight when swarming some bloodworms.

Hello, this is what you said you wanted.
1 angel - black/silver
6 platy - Red/ Orange
6 albino cory - pinkish
8 zebra danio ( maybe mixxed with long fin zebras ) - silver/blue
2 dwarf gourami - blue/orange
5 boesemani rainbows ( have to order online not sure i can find in my area, so they may be added late ) -blue/orange/yellow
5 molly - black/yellow/orange
I think if you took out the Molly's. and replaced the danios, a school of 20 rumynose tetras would be stunning. They are very tight schoolers, and are amazing to watch zoom around. The platys could also be token out instead of the Molly's I think a pair of kribs, apistos, rams, or keyholes would work aswell!

I was in the local pet store today and they DID have some rainbows so im very excited about that.

@HammBone that sounds like a sweet setup. I was looking at some lights that go with the top of the tank im getting that is if they still work which they should but ya never know. I was going to use Aqueon T8s or something similar it works great with the top of the tank nice and tighty i have a few cats i would hate to get close to getting in.

@Charlie i already have 4 platys so i cant take em out of the mix, thats a good idea to replace the mollys but i would still want dainos so maybe some of both danios and tetras im not to sure if they have rummynose's, mostly neon and cardinal but all pretty small and my angel would snack on em but ill take a better look when i go again. Im not to sure about getting rams because im not sure i can find em i didnt have much time to look so i may have missed but we will put that on hold.

so here is my revised list
AquStockImage.php

as i said before i have a topfin 10 , whisper 40 , and whisper 60 also my brother is giving me a filter that looks to be equal to a whisper 30 maybe so even tho it says 100% i feel i will be ok. What do you think?

I wish i had room for dojo loaches without removing anything on the list but when i calculated them in on advisor they seem to bump up tho bio load and stock any ideas on if i could add em.

Got the tank cleaned and set it up with the dresser in my room messed with the top which is funky but it works lol ill get a new one or think of something other then that its great. Ill upload pictures when my room-mate takes em on his tablet i wish my phone worked atm because they would be better in quality but its alright. Only things im questioning are will my filters fit around the rim of the tank and when should i swap everything from my 29 to the 75.

If you still dont have an answer on the lip size, if i go home for lunch in a couple hours i will measure it and post it up, otherwise i will measure when i get home about 7pm central tonight. even if those filters do fit, i would look into at least an ac110 or emperor 400.

not yet im not going to know till i take a filter off n try but that would be great if you could do that so i dont have to take anything off the running tank atm.

I do have some sort of canister filter i think, my brother gave me like 3 boxes of fish stuff heaters , blubbers and a big green canister filter im not sure how to hook it up and neither is he i think i have an idea because theres a picture showing what contents to use inside the filter itself. Those filters do look very nice also im look into getting some if i cant figure out the canister thing maybe.

Heres a couple pictures of the tank. It looks scratchy but im sure it will look better filled with water. Dont mind the old dresser only thing we have to hold the tank atm plus i can use it for clothes and spare fish stuff.

The top of the tank is another puzzle lol the top is weird and i have a 30-40 inch light and two 48 inch lights that need new light bulbs but im sure i can mess with the top and make sure the lights cover any empty holes left in the top so no interested cat falls in haha

Attachments

• IMG_20130124_022944.jpg
    IMG_20130124_022944.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20130124_023052.jpg
    IMG_20130124_023052.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20130124_020701.jpg
    IMG_20130124_020701.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom