90 gallon setup and stocking mission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume its close i haven't measured still but i did setup the tank i just finished about 30 minutes ago i couldn't just sit there and look at it haha im sure you all know the feeling , so it took about and hour to an hour and a half to transfer everything over to the 75. most of the sand from the 30 but i couldn't get it all as it is really late and i didn't want to keep making the water foggy with sand for the fish's sake. I had alot of sand left over from when i setup the 30 so i added that also and its enough.( sand from the 30 also put on top of the new sand) I will prolly take the rest out tomorrow when the tank clears more. The fish seem fine and the tanks looks beautiful so ill post some pictures tomorrow ( or later today haha ). !!! woooo!

I know what you mean, i have 4 complete tanks that are just sitting in my basement with everything for them but i will be moving soon so i cannot set any of them up.

Hey guys here is the pictures . The fish all look good and ill be testing in a few to make sure. Also i did a home made filter just to add to my whisper 60 and 40.(the 10 wouldnt fit ) Ill be getting more filtration once i add more stock. Im goin to even out the sand as well and try and get better pictures maybe a video.

Current stock: 1 Angelfish. 4 Platy. 3 Albino cory. 1 Golden inca snail.

Future stock: 1 Angelfish. 6 platy. 8 albino cory. 15 cardinal tetras. 5 Rainbow fish. 1 dwarf gourami. more snails n maybe inverts if the fish dont eat em.

I also want this to be planted in the near future so this tank will be some fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20130125_201804.jpg
    IMG_20130125_201804.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20130125_201856.jpg
    IMG_20130125_201856.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20130125_201930.jpg
    IMG_20130125_201930.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 48
I like ur setup think its gonna look even better with live plants..

Where did u get that rock on the right side? I want for my tank saw it at my local petsmart n their tank but they dont carry it on the shelves

I like ur setup think its gonna look even better with live plants..

Where did u get that rock on the right side? I want for my tank saw it at my local petsmart n their tank but they don't carry it on the shelves

Thanks and yea me to i cant wait im already thinking about how i should lay it out ideas ideas.. lol

and honestly i think it was from petco im not 100% positive on that tho. When i got my 30 i got a bunch of stuff from a good friends mom. Filters , decorations ect ect and the rock also. She was the manager at a local petco back when she had the tank running.

Little Update: I tested the water , ammonia and nitrate. Don't really test for ph since it seems to be steady, tho because of the big swap over to the 75 I will still test the ph tomorrow before PWC. I really don't test for trites because even threw my cycle it only changed tint once and after that was never ever another color but the blue for 0 but ill test for the hell of it why not.

The ammonia and trates seem really whacky i even tested ammonia twice to be sure i didn't add extra drops or to few and then i also shook the crap out of em. The ammonia has risen so i think i'm entering a mini cycle maybe. I'm not to worried about the trates being a little high because as soon as i wake up i will do a PWC. Whats weird is all of the fish seem alright and my angel who seems to go crazy n gets fidgety , breaths heavy and zips around when there is ammonia present in the water. All in all im going to do a change tomorrow.

I also have added two home made filters designed after these from uarujoey , Link below. My filters are a little different. They are both 1 liter and I'm using a white filter pad for entry instead of the sponge on the outside, I do however have a sponge after the pad and Eheim ceramic rings after the sponge. Which do great for mechanical and biological filtration.I don't know the GPH or even how much they actually filter but 1 night after i added the first one the filter pad ,sponge and ceramic rings look to have caught debris and other brown stuff and thats where the BB live on em I will try and snap a picture for you guys and gals.

HOW TO: Build a very simple aquarium filter - YouTube

Hey guys just finished my PWC did about half of the tank didn't really take as long as i thought it would being the the tank is so freaking big lol. Before i tested i did a ph and it seems to be between 7.2 and high range maybe 7.8 i'm not sure where that leaves me haha but i think its fine correct? i used a good amount ( not to much ) of prime. Alittle more then normal because my ammonia seemed really high so i dont want to take chances.

On a tank that big you might want to look into getting an Aqueon or Python Water Changer. I have an Aqueon that I use on my 220g and even many of my smaller tanks.

I have a water changer but its one without the sink hookup , i don't mind running back n forth the bathroom is like 2 feet outside my room lol plus i like to treat the water before putting it in the tank with the python you have to treat it while its already in the tank no ? but then again it would be alot easier to sit n watch the water flow in n out instead of picking up buckets lol

here is a picture i said i would upload of my home made filter , the filter in the picture is a newer one. The other you can see brown gunk and debris in the pad and ceramic material

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 66
I have a water changer but its one without the sink hookup , i don't mind running back n forth the bathroom is like 2 feet outside my room lol plus i like to treat the water before putting it in the tank with the python you have to treat it while its already in the tank no ? but then again it would be alot easier to sit n watch the water flow in n out instead of picking up buckets lol

here is a picture i said i would upload of my home made filter , the filter in the picture is a newer one. The other you can see brown gunk and debris in the pad and ceramic material

If you use a changer you dose the correct amount of dechlorinator for the entire volume of your tank and add it before you start filling the tank.

If you use a changer you dose the correct amount of dechlorinator for the entire volume of your tank and add it before you start filling the tank.

Ah i figured that and it does say dose the whole tank on the back of the prime. When i get some extra cash ill prolly buy 1 . im buying a new tv friday so i gotta wait till after that

Ah i figured that and it does say dose the whole tank on the back of the prime. When i get some extra cash ill prolly buy 1 . im buying a new tv friday so i gotta wait till after that

Look on amazon, they have the 25 foot ones for about $25. I think the 50 foot ones are a little over $40. Those prices are still about half of what you would pay at petsmart or another similar store.

Hey guys i know its been a few weeks but i said i would upload some better pictures so here they are , ill be adding more also.

Heres a question? I want to desperately add plants to my tank but i have read online play sand isn't the best. I really don't want to tear the whole tank down since i just set it up and caused a mini cycle. I also read you cant add eco complete or other dirt while the tank is setup due to the water turning crazy dirty itself. Now is my only option to re do the tank with dirt or is there a way i can add something on top of the sand or just use the sand itself?

Ive also added another whisper 40. So thats 1 whisper 60 , 2 whisper 40s and the two home made filters. i have no way of measuring how much they filter but i think it might be maybe like 30-50 gallons an hour.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 67
I'm actually a big fan of going the other way with the stocking and getting a BIG school of something tiny like tetras. I love the look of a huge ball of tiny fish and I don;t really see it done too often. Most big tanks I see a full of big fish. Booooor-ing! :D

This is when I lost interest. I'm just kidding but small fish still aren't my thing. Good luck with all of this.

Well regain intrest. lol Anyway yesterday while chillen in my room watching the news about the 30 inches of snow we got here in connecticut i noticed platy fry in the tank lol i knew she was pregnate i was watching her the night before and could tell but it was 6 am. So i cought as many as i could around 7 or 8 and put them in a small tank with a heater n bubbler. It was like a game between me the anglefish n male platys on who could get the fry first. Im sure i left some in the tank but i dont have room to let all of em grow so i let them try n live on their own or become fish food. With the 7 or 8 i cought im going to keep some females add them into the tank to even out the m on f numbers. The males im thinking of donateing to petsmart since there is no mom n pop lfs around here. It would help if someone could help me out with my planting questions above also... Well have a good day im stuck here snowed in about 60% of the streets in my area have not even been plowed so theres about 3 feet of snow where the street should be.

Does petsmart take fish... mine doesnt but it could be different for other places.. n well im not gonna answer ur plant questions bc i have no clue about them my fish keep eatin mine so i gave up on a planted tank

You don't have a single lfs near you? I am pretty sure all lfs take fish, they might even pay you for them. If not, you could probably just give them to petsmart, I don't know why they wouldn't take them.

Back
Top Bottom