A few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirgeDevil

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I've got a few questions.

1) I recently had to move my fish from a 10gal to a 16gal due to a leak. I managed to transfer about 8gal of the water along with the fish, but the rest is new, treated water. I wanted to know If I should still expect peaks, like when you start a new tank and it has to cycle.

2) I found some really cool gemstones and geodes and I wanted to know if there were any that would be safe to use for aquarium decor. Are there any that would leach harmful minerals, etc?

3) I'm assuming (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) that glass makes an ok decoration; as long as there's no sharp edges, etc. If anyone uses glass decorations in their tank please tell me about it (pictures would be nice too)

:D TIA

If you moved your gravel and your filter media you should be fine.

Glass beads etc are fine for decorations. Avoid painted objects.

I'm pretty new, but I'll take a stab at these.

1) If you didn't transfer any of the old gravel or the filter, you'll probably see at least a mini-cycle. The water doesn't really hold the beneficial bacteria, that stuff clings to surfaces. So, the filter from the old tank is the best option, but gravel and/or decor can also help. However, if you've let that stuff dry out, the bacteria is dead and therefore it can't be used to kickstart your new tank.

2) By found, do you mean you found them out in the wild, or at a store?

3) Glass is fine for decorations. If it weren't, tanks wouldn't be made of glass.

A spike won't come if you transfered the filter as well. The good bacteria doesn't live in the water, but rather adhers to media in the tank or filter.

I'd be wary of any rock which might also contain calcium or limestone. Always best to err on the side of caution.

Glass is pure silca and is aquarium safe.

HTH

the geodes and gemstones are ones that a little old man sells by the road. Supposdley, he finds them in the nearby mountains.

I'd be leary, as BrianNY said, those can contain elements of stuff you don't want in your fishtanks. I've heard that you can boil some stuff off, but you risk poisoning your tank.

ones that a little old man sells by the road

not only would I worry about the mineral content....I would also worry about what he has used if they are cleaned and polished

I don't think he uses any cleaners. He lives in a trailer and keeps all the stones and glass outside on make-shift tables. Usually in raw piles.

I took pictures of some glass and a geode slice I was thinking about using.

Attachments

• misc_027_618.jpg
    misc_027_618.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 40
  • misc_019_205.jpg
    misc_019_205.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 250
those pieces are stunning... i wish i was as fortunate to have someone down the road to sell me such beautiful gems.

i would think that if the gems/geodes pass the acid test (pour some vinegar on them, see if they fizzle or bubble at all). if they pass, they are most likely safe.

If it were me, i'd likely boil even if they pass the vinegar test.

I would think you could identify the component minerals of the rocks by doing some research. what mountain range are these found in? what mineral components are commonly found in the soils there? what mineral components are found in mountain runoff streams and rivers where the geodes/fragments came from? what kind of fish inhabit river runoff there?

they appear to have cobolt in them, or perhaps copper. but the heat at which they were created looks as if it has likely sealed them pretty well, and the chances of them leaching at a rate fast enough to hurt your fish would be relatively low, as they have survived some serious heat, and steam/heated gas to cause geode effect.

These are questions I would look to answer to solve the riddle of safe-ness.

I would be curious as to what was used to polish the stones. Sometimes waxes are used in the process.

Where's jdog? I think he is a bit of an expert on this subject isn't he?

even if a wax was used, it would be boiled off if cooked.

the geodes aren't waxed to produce the effect, just cut thin with a diamond blade saw.

the mineral chunks are essentually mineral tinted silica or quartz.

have you seen utah glass, rose quartz, black glass or similar? it is essentually the same concept, some high melting point mineral exposed to high heat and/or pressure to produce molten mineral, then rapidly cooled (usually in liquid, as in lava in hawai'i black glass).

i have seen quartz and obsidian chunks used in aquariums, so they are safe. just boil, as suggested, to remove any treatments.

the geodes aren't waxed to produce the effect, just cut thin with a diamond blade saw.

I do believe that they have to be polished after they are cut. A diamond saw does not leave such a fine surface. But you are right that if you boiled them the wax would melt, I missed the part about boiling.

the geodes aren't waxed to produce the effect, just cut thin with a diamond blade saw

most of the time they are ground and polished using a variety of slurries and pumice...my father dabbled in gemstones as a hobby....his favorite lubricant for cutting and grinding was kerosene....I have had some of his pieces in my tanks...after boiling and test in a quarantine....I would try to use them them are some nice pieces

I poured some vinegar on the geode, and it didn't fizz at all, but now the color is like, translucent, so now I kinda don't want to use it.

Back
Top Bottom