A newb @ cich's and need stock ideas for a 60 gl octogonal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a tank (hopefully) and it's a 60 gal octogonal tank and would like some ideas for stocking it. My fave cichlids to look at are angels, GBRs and kribs, but I need some info on them please. What would you do with my new cichlid tank? Thanks!

What would I do with a new 60g tan. well frist off it's a hex so buttom space is limited to only tow pairs of Apistogrammas, So I'd go with the Ap. panduro and the Ap.trifascata then maybe trio pr of Kribs. Then for clean up a small school of panda corys. Then for middlie dwellers a trio of GBR's. Top dweller would be penceil fish either the black striped or the red fined. and toss in a school of neons 8 to 10 with some live plants. jungle vails for the back and some cyrptia wendtia for a middum plant and some dwarf sages with ricca mats to cover the ground.

:eyes: I asked, didn't I? :lol: I have no idea what most of that stuff is and I didn't know I could put all of those fish in there! The kribs and GBRs, do I get 1 male and 2 females of each? What do I need for them to lay eggs in/on? Do they sell these fish in say petsmart or a specialty tropical fish store? What kind od substrate? And I don't do live plants (frankly, don't know how and wouldn't want to mess the tank up or harm the fish by not taking proper care of the plant life) so how many fakies can I put in? They need alot for territory issues right? I've been reading but I am not all that knowledged about everything yet.
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

For substruter i'd use swimming pole filter sand can be bought at anyhardware suppler lime Lowes homdepot for $7.99 50pd bag, then live plants and the fih can be bought at any aququic suplers mostly the apisto's I get from Aqabid. but stay away from Dave he miss sexs them lot. then your out another $15 for reshiping the females and then you may or maynot get them then. As for caves to spawn in I use 3'' clay flower pot with the bottom for water over flow selaconed to the top with a 1 1/2'' hole knocked in the side. I have the plan on how to DIY up on my site in the DIY area at www.lonestarfishrnch.com Look it up.
I also have tons of people to get the Apistogramma's from in my store. Just click on the Texas flag to get to the store.

yeah, I think I'd like to do sand. How do you care for the live plants? Oh boy, this is going to keep me busy for a while, lol. How long should I float the filter media in my tank to grow ben. bacteria? After that, I am going to throw in my danios and tetras to help it along and just do PWC daily and water testing. I got my 10 gallon cycled over a weekend by adding media from my already cycled tank and doing water changes.

The live plants will take care of there self. Basicly. I don't do anything other then add a fert every now and then. I'd leave the filter in for at least a coupleof days.

Back
Top Bottom