A Question about hatchet fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was reading that the marble hatchets get to be about 1.5 inches in length and the silver hatchets get to be 2 inches in length. I noticed at my LFS that the silver hatchets seemed to be more active while the marble ones just kind of sat there at the top. Are the silver hatchets a more hardy variety than the marbles?

Yes, marbles tend to me more finicky (or however you spell it). I have both marbles and silvers and my silvers did so much better (in fact, all 6 marbles I purchased died within a few months).

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. As cool as the marbles look I'll probably go with the silvers. Do you think they will be comfortable in a school of 4 of them?

I bought 5 Silver hatchet fish, all jumped out of the tank except 1 so I gave up on the species ingeneral. Make sure you cover the tank completely with plexiglass or something. My silver is about 2 inches after 3 years of having him

I have four marbled hatchets, and the floating leaves of my plants move more than they do.

I would go with the silvers, if you are going with hatchetfish. Someone here mentioned killifish as being a livelier option to hatchets, but I have no experience with those.

i have silver hatchets, and i love them. They are the only species of fish i have in my tank that survived the ick. At least one of every other type of fish i have died. I still have all five hatchets. They are cool to look at, i like to watch them when I turn out the lights, they freak out and start swimming all over the place.

I think a school of 4 would be okay. It is recommended they be in schools of six, and I think visually it might be more appealing to have more than 4. But 4 will work

like mentioned, they WILL jump out. I had to jumpers- its a said way to go.

I've got the jumping thing covered...hehe... 100 percent... i've seen those suckers jump.

Yes the silvers are more active and yes keep them well covered. I too lost 2 of them to jumping out of the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom