Acan help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05spooln

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this Acan for a couple months and he looked awesome! Puffed up in less than 24 hrs. Here's the issue and all parameters are fine.
Is it bleaching or something worse? Since I noticed it tonight I have moved it on the substrate. Both hammers are perfect

Oceanic BC stock lighting (10,000k)
Placed in the middle

image-700235585.jpg

New Pheonix bulb (14,000k)
Same location

image-1674539864.jpg

Here is what really freaks me out, the middle is separating and I see white

image-2610882157.jpg

I

What have you added recently? I used to import a ton of these and I noticed that certain ones would get this flattened out look and start losing flesh no matter what I did. No one ever came up with a definite solution for this, but there was speculation of parasites, and bacterial infections. I tried dipping mine in lugols and it helped some of them. These were small colonies sitting right smack in the middle of many other colonies that were unaffected. crazy.

What have you added recently? I used to import a ton of these and I noticed that certain ones would get this flattened out look and start losing flesh no matter what I did. No one ever came up with a definite solution for this, but there was speculation of parasites, and bacterial infections. I tried dipping mine in lugols and it helped some of them. These were small colonies sitting right smack in the middle of many other colonies that were unaffected. crazy.

Thanks for the quick response Mr X. The only thing I have added/changed since this one was added was another hammer and the different bulb. It was dipped during acclimation with coral rx

That`s what I was going to say. Your lighting might not be strong enough. Most stock lighting is not. The 10,000K is just the color. We need to know the intensity. What kind of lighting system is it. Is it normal fluorescents or HO fluorescents or LEDS. That would help with the lighting question.

That`s what I was going to say. Your lighting might not be strong enough. Most stock lighting is not. The 10,000K is just the color. We need to know the intensity. What kind of lighting system is it. Is it normal fluorescents or HO fluorescents or LEDS. That would help with the lighting question.
MH 150w 14,000k

Acans are medium to low light corals IME. I have kept them in shaded areas and they've done very well, so I don't think it's a lack of light. What i meant was, a 150 watt halide isn't much stronger than the stock bio cube lighting PAR-wise. 20" away from 150 watt halides I was getting readings of 50 PAR- fine for LPS but not very potent.
How long after you added the light did you see the deflation?

Acans are medium to low light corals IME. I have kept them in shaded areas and they've done very well, so I don't think it's a lack of light. What i meant was, a 150 watt halide isn't much stronger than the stock bio cube lighting PAR-wise. 20" away from 150 watt halides I was getting readings of 50 PAR- fine for LPS but not very potent. How long after you added the light did you see the deflation?

Almost right away. I installed it last Friday. So you think it's the difference in PAR from the two different bulbs? I checked with it last night after I moved it and it seems to be getting better. I will post another pic when I get home

Well, the facts are- you added the new light and then the coral shrunk. I would shield it from direct light for a while. It could very well be the issue.

Since I've moved it, there seems to be a little progress with the outer "rings" on each and started to puff a little more. Will update further more as time heals it. Thanks again for all the input. A rookie mistake for sure. Should have done more research on it before I picked a spot for it

I misunderstood your post as well. Actually, I skipped the part about changing out the lighting fixture completely......:(

Back
Top Bottom