Actinic lighting and Now VHO lighting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. As a note the yellow fiji leather looks a little unhappy. How long have you had it and does it normally look that way?

have had it over a year and it is going through growing pains.. Every time it grows it looks like this. And to make matters worse the sinularia 2 days in a row bent over in the am before lights on and was stinging it. It is doing better today, some polyps are out and its open and not all closed up. I had a guy tell me once that when they get big they require more lighting.. So if it does not perk up by the end of next week I will give it to my buddy with MH and see how it does under them.. I have a baby one on the rock behind it that is doing well.

WOW, he says reaching for his wallet before heading to the not so LFS. What is your source for those corals and were they that big when you got them? You put my 125 to shame (but have given me some great ideas).

Corals were all small when I got them.. I like buying things small to watch them grow.. Also because they are alot cheaper.. Everything was picked up local. A few were frags from friends.
Look in my gallery and you can see how much a few have grown in 6 months..
They love the VHO lighting and I feed liquid life coral and bio plankton, cyclopeeze and dose my alk and cal.. Thats it.. regular water changes monthly of every other month if I'm lazy.
The biggest thing I ever bought was the hammer, it had around 14 heads when I got it.. Its been fragged and is back up to around 28 at last count..
The slowest growing coral I have is the Fox..
The colt was a frag from a friend, it was smaller then the colt frag/coral on the left when I got it.
IMO water quality is a must, I tried using Kold Steril water for 6 months and it stalled the coral growth, I switched back to ro/di and things popped again...

Beng that close to a coral that conducts chemical warfare has a lot to do with its looks (The yellow fiji) I had a real nice one that came in contact with some sinularia on a semi regular basis and eventually the sinularia won hands down. I would consider relocation in the tank. I ran 440 watts of VHO (220 03 and 220 10K) and it did fine until I located the sinularia far too close. The reason I brought it up was 2 fold. First I thought I might save what is one of the most colorful, imo, soft corals around. With its polyps out it really looks like the sunflower of the ocean. Second, when mine finally fell prey to the aggessive sinularia it trashed my water parameters. I had not realized it was dying from the inside out. I would really consider relocation. Under VHO, there won't be any chance of too much light for it even if it must be located up top.

Peace.

Not worried about too much light.. Not enough is the problem. I had a large leather before and it crashed when it got to the size of a volley ball, no known reason. I also had no ill effects in the tank due to its dying.
I have no room in the tank to move anything at this time. And I really don't want to frag the sinualria. I will probably give the leather to a friend if I can get it off the LR. Its on a very large piece that can not be removed... Adding more stress but I have no other choice at this time.
As far as being close they have been there for over 6 months with no issues till the last 2 weeks.
thanks for the pointers..

Back
Top Bottom