adding beta to a community aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qbjames7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i currently have 55 gal community aquarium with a baby rainbow shark, a school of tiger barbs and a baby texas cichled, im planning on getting a bigger tank as the fish grow, im wondering if i can add a male beta to the tank?

In some community tanks, bettas do very well.
However, I wouldn't call your tank a community tank, sorry. Texas cichlids get large (up to 12") and are fairly aggressive fish. Also, when it gets large enough, it will likely eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth, which is everything else on your stocking list. In the meantime, it will bully and harass every other fish in the tank. I have a Texas, and love him, but he's in a much larger tank with other large, aggressive cichlids.

Perhaps, I wouldn't recommend tiger barbs with any fish with flowing fins, even without the texas

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

im trying to find that perfect fit for my rainbow shark, i got the tiger barbs bc the people at the pet store suggested it, im starting to realize they really dont know too much about fish

If you went to a big chain pet store, too often their employees don't know much, if anything. I thought that tiger barbs may be fin nippers, but wasn't sure.
Rehome the Texas? That's probably your best option if you want a community tank. Of course, I would go the other way; get a larger tank, keep the Texas, add an Oscar or JD, and rehome the rest. But, admittedly, I have a fondness for cichlids.

As everyone else said, tiger barbs are very nippy and a Betta is possibly one of the worst neighbors for them.

Since the Texas is rehomed, the situation is better but still not ideal. Perhaps get a tiny 4gal for a Betta separately if you're into that?

a betta is definitely not compatible with your tank. tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers. and i think i have heard that sometimes rainbow sharks can be too. Props on rehoming your cichlid though. cichlids can be pretty aggressive.

I have a betta in a 55 g. community and my advice is that there are no "shoulds" with bettas. all bettas are different and what works for one might not work for another.

but if you just want a betta. many knowledgeable fish keepers say you will need at least a five gallon. That is the bare minimum. don't listen to fish store employees saying they can stay in a 2 gallon. Personally i recommend a 10 gallon. they are tropical fish that require a heater, filters are recommended and don't forget about water conditioner. also bettas don't have the best immune systems so its good to treat them with some meds when you first get them. i recommend tetra lifeguard tablets. they treat many different things like fin rot (or at least for mine they did)

Good luck in the hobby. There's a learning curve but its all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom