Adding salt to 40 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got 6 danios in a 40 gal tank. I beleive one of them has developed fin rot. His tail is "missing" in the center. He is also very inactive, hovering in one spot most of the day unless chased by another fish. He can swim, quickly, when need be, but won't unless provoked. Also not eating.

I just finished another 50% wc and am getting ready to go to LFS to get some aquarium salt. I've been reading up, and that seems to be the next step to help the little guy. My question is, do you just dump the salt into the water, or put it into a container with holes like the LFS uses? Is there a difference or reason to do it one way or the other?

This is a fish in cycle btw, and ammo was just under.25 this morning before wc. So should be pretty good now. Nitrite is still 0, Nitrate about 5ppm.

Before adding salt to the entire tank, I think of a quarrantine tank in which to administer your treatment. This helps the fish recover wtout the added stress of tankmates hovering and harrassing. If you can't use a quarrantine tank, dip some of the water out of the tank and dissolve the salt in that first, then add it to the aquarium. I would pour in the solution near a powerhead or in the filter stream so it doesn't concentrate in just one area until it circulates. I would also add it over a period of a few hours to give the fish a chance to acclimate a little. While the amount of salt isn't extremely high, a sudden influx may just add more stress.

Recommendation is one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water but I would verify that with the salt container :)

Back
Top Bottom