Adding salt to freshwater aquariums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it beneficial to regularly add salt to freshwater aquariums?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 78.9%

• Total voters
No. The only use for salt in FW is for the treatment of parasites or to create a brackish environment. I've kept 20+ tanks and bred everything from killies to apistos. No salt for me unless there are french fries involved.

The only time I use it is to treat ich (which I did a lot of working at a LFS). Otherwise it is completely unnecessary.

the peeps at my lfs said that improves their natural slime coat. Also you need a litttle for brackish

the peeps at my lfs said that improves their natural slime coat. Also you need a litttle for brackish

The "peeps" were either not knowledgable themselves and were spouting off what they'd been told to or they simply wanted to sell you something. Brackish tanks do require salt (MARINE salt, not "aquarium salt").

Actually what they said may be, strictly speaking, true... sometimes it's just a matter of listening very carefully to what was actually said. The slime coat is normally enhanced in response to environmental stresses. Its function, after all, is to keep undesirable stuff from contacting the skin. I don't think you want to stimulate slime in this way if you can avoid it.

Unless your fish require salt there is no reason to add it to most freshwater set-ups. I only use it on the rare occasions that I get ich or some other type of illness otherwise there is no benefit.

Back
Top Bottom