additon of activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys...
I hav a 78 gallon cichlid tank with 1 UGF & 1 power filter. This power filter in not a hob type.just a normal inside tank power head with a little canister attached with it which have spunge as it's media. Now my question is can I add activted carbon bag alongwith spunge directly to the power filter which is inside my tank?or Is that harmfull to keep activated carbon to a inside tank power filter?plz need suggession. Thanx

Is there reason you need to add carbon (such as removing meds)? If there isnt, I would not bother adding carbon because it really isnt necessary. The sponges should work just fine. :)

Using Activated Carbon

Hi guys...
I hav a 78 gallon cichlid tank with 1 UGF & 1 power filter. This power filter in not a hob type.just a normal inside tank power head with a little canister attached with it which have spunge as it's media. Now my question is can I add activted carbon bag alongwith spunge directly to the power filter which is inside my tank?or Is that harmfull to keep activated carbon to a inside tank power filter?plz need suggession. Thanx

Hello say...

Carbon or chemical filtration isn't important in a freshwater tank. Simple, weekly water changes do more for your tank than carbon filtration. Chemical filtration simply removes dissolved substances that mechanical and biological filtration misses. A water change does that and more.

Just commit to a weekly water change routine and you can stop using chemical filtration.

B

@ jik, yup I hav a bogwood which I soaked in the water over a week now. I want to add carbon as if I place the bogwood to my tank may be it wil create the water a little cloudy. Carbon can solve this prob easily. Just if it isn't harmful to my fish I'll go for it. But not for permanent. So is this work?

@BBradbury,thanx. I know a weekly change of water makes all. Even I do so. For the above mentioned reason I want to add carbon to my filter. Bt not permanently just for few days so dat the cloudiness of bogwood vanish soon.though its releasing very lower amount of tanin.

Using Activated Carbon

@BBradbury,thanx. I know a weekly change of water makes all. Even I do so. For the above mentioned reason I want to add carbon to my filter. Bt not permanently just for few days so dat the cloudiness of bogwood vanish soon.though its releasing very lower amount of tanin.

Hello again say...

It's not wrong to use carbon. Use it and do the water changes and the water will clear up faster.

B

Thanx buddy... for your info.wil go to my LFS tomorrow & plan for buy a lil bag of activated carbon.

@ jik, yup I hav a bogwood which I soaked in the water over a week now. I want to add carbon as if I place the bogwood to my tank may be it wil create the water a little cloudy. Carbon can solve this prob easily. Just if it isn't harmful to my fish I'll go for it. But not for permanent. So is this work?

Add the bogwood & see what it does- if you have well soaked it, it shouldnt cloud your water. If it does, your fine to use some carbon & some extra wcs to clear your water up. :)

Went to my LFS.bought a bag of "miracle baby" high absorptive activated carbon. in the box it says it is made of nature carbonize peat,large number of pore, low specific gravity and treble absorption than usual coco shell carbon.let's hope for some good result now. Wil rinse before I add it into my inside tank power filter.

Back
Top Bottom