adf in a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how many adf's can i put ina 10 gal. no other fish will be with them. have never kept adf's before. any special requirements for them ?

6-8

Get some stuff to make the tank have several floor levels, like terraces or something. And put some live plants for them to "get stuck" in.

Should be fine.

They usually only eat live or frozen food. They can be hard to feed because they won't search for it. I'd use a turkey baster to syphon bloodworms right in front of them.

I'd go with 4-6 in a 10g.

Clicky Make sure you scroll down to African DWARF frogs though. The others get too large. It tells you all about them.
Another
FAQs on them

I'm not sure how accurate the info on those sites are...but it should help you out and know how to care for them.

My ADF doesn't really require any special treatment. When I put flakes, algae wafers, or shrimp pellets in the tank he starts to get active and will eventually find scraps to eat.

ADFs are almost blind close up so its amusing watching him dive for a flake and gulp the fin of a panda cory. :D

In terms of bioload, I think ADFs are relatively low. Probably less than 1" if you're going by the inch per galon rule.

i only feed mine frozen blood worms (if your getting them at wal-mart, they are only $3 and are kept in tiny, tiny cups, and are not fed many die, and they have never carried diseases with the ones ive gotten (4) however the albino ones at wal-mart are actually clawed frogs, and when they get bigger, might kill smaller frogs and fish)

the normal colored ones dont eat fish, or kill each other, they are skinny, but plump right back up once they are fed

i would only go 4-6 as well in a 10 gal

they also really only like frozen blood worms (which is actually cheaper per ounce compared to freeze dried) and they love it when you break off a chunk, put it close to their face, and they make pigs of themselves

remember, only the regualr adf are fish safe, not the albino clawed frogs, which grow much larger

Adult ADFs thrive when living in 2.5 – 3 gallons of water for each adult frog. They need room to swim and use those flippers... nothing higher than an 18" tank.

I like the flippers and fins website, they also have a forum like here, but for frogs.
Frogs are way kewl... Mine eats out of my hand. Has lived with goldfish (large goldfish).. they grew up together. . Recently I upgraded the goldies to a bigger tank and the frog now has shrimp as roomies. He/she tries to go after the little ones, and has been successful a few times. but the shrimp are smart and move away from him/her now.
Mine likes frozen blood worms (thawed or course) and brine shrimp. Will eat the krill, but not sure if he/she really likes it all that much.

You might want try a sand substrate. I find it eliminates feeding and nitrate problems. Brine Shrimp/blood worms sit on top of the sand and the ADFs eventually find it -instead of the food rotting in the gravel.

ehh im not so keen on sand, my frog really gets excited and kicks up from the bottom to the top, or from other sides, i'd be afraid of him kicking sand all over, getting it in fish eyes or gills...ive never even used sand for fish though, is it heavy?

Back
Top Bottom