ADF shedding skin or fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~What type of fish is afflicted? This is an ADF with white patches on its backside.It is slightly raised.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, temp 76, pH 8.0)?
3~ How large is the tank? Standard 10 gal
How long has the tank been set up?about 3 weeks
4~What type of filtration are you using? HOB filter rated for 5-15 gal
5~How many fish are in the tank? two adf and one small BN pleco I have had them all since Novemeber in the 55gal community.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? I have not done a water change since introducing the fish/frogs.
How often do you do this? plan on once a month since this is a small tank with plants and low light. Letting my paramaters guide me as to when it is necessary. How much water do you remove at a time? plan on 50%
7~How long have you had the fish? Since Novemember If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? I acclimated them to the new tank by putting them in a large bowl of their old tank water then adding water from the new tank every few minutes for 30 minutes.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? The heater was just added since the night time temp dropped down to 70 and then crept up slowly over the day to 75
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I have not changed their diet. Sinking shrimp pellets, frozen brine shrimp, sinking flakes and algae wafers for the pleco.

I just noticed the white patch today. I have not see anything like this on any of the 3 frogs before. I can not tell if it is shedding its skin or if this is a fungus of some sort. No new fish or plants have been introduced recently at all. Everything came over from the existing tank. The tank itself was cleaned with very hot water and vinegar prior to set up and rinsed very thoroughly before adding water.
All of the gravel, plants rock decor and some of the water came from the existing tank that has been set up since november. The filter pad was soaked in the existing tank for a week prior to adding it to the new 10 gallon set up and then it ran for almost two weeks waiting for the cycle to happen. The new tank had snails right away which came with the plants and I never did see any major signs of cycling. I continued to add fish food to the tank even when there were no fish or frogs in it in an effort to cycle it or keep it cycled. After nearly two weeks the ammonia was still at 0 as well as nitrite and there were trace nitrates so I added the one BN Pleco and two ADF to the new set up.

They have been in the new tank now for over a week and have been very happy. They have been coming out more and swimming around not hiding all the time like they used to. They seem very happy in this new home but today I noticed this and wanted to get an opinion from you all.

While ADF's do shed their skin regularily I don't think that is what your ADF is doing. Can you see any whitish stuff floating in the tank at all? I would start with a 25% water change and slowly bump the temp to 78-79. ADF's love frozen bloodworms. You can target feed them to them with a turkey baster for future reference. If no improvement in a day or so I would add an antifungal medication to the tank.

It's not looking good. Now his/her hind legs are looking like they are colorless and the fungus looking stuff is bigger. I am creeping the temp up but have no way of giving any medications until at least tomorrow or Wednesday as I live far from town.

There does not appear to be anything floating in the tank at all.

I can not seem to find a source for frozen blood worms at all. Only brine shrimp. We are pretty limited on LFS and pet stores around here.

Can I or should I add some salt to the tank? I don't have anything labled "aquarium salt" but I do have some "sea salt" that is not the iodized stuff.
Could that possibly help?

No do not add salt. It will irritate the ADF as they breathe through their skin. Do you know anyone else with aquariums? Maybe someone can borrow you some meds.

Well, I lost the battle. :( By morning his body was colorless and stiff. :(

I think I will try to pick up some meds today to treat the tank just to be sure the other ADF in the tank is ok....what do you think?

Perhaps water changes every couple of days for a little while to be safe?

I guess it was the stress of the move or something...it seems so strange as they have all been healthy for months. Perhaps I will search out some LFS in Spokane since I am going that direction today to look for live bloodworms (or frozen)

I suppose there could have been something in the tank that did not get killed with all of my scrubbing (no soap, just a clean rag soaked in vinegar and lots of hot water) :(
Dang it!

I'm sorry for your loss. I would pick up the meds but not put them in yet. I would do the water changes for a bit to make sure the water remains good. Don't be hard on yourself. The ADF may have gotten fungus for a number of different reasons. You tried to save him and that is what is the most important.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. The other ADF looks perfectly healthy. I did a large water change today and will continue doing them. It should help and certainly couldn't hurt. :)

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom