Advice on Possible Freshwater Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Peacock eels" are actually a type of bichir. The Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus). A lot of people recommend no less than a 70g for this bichir and as far as I'm aware, this is the smallest type of bichir/"eel". It might work out until 8"-10" but after then he'll most likely need rehoming.

"Peacock eels" are actually a type of bichir. The Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus). A lot of people recommend no less than a 70g for this bichir and as far as I'm aware, this is the smallest type of bichir/"eel". It might work out until 8"-10" but after then he'll most likely need rehoming.

Not true. Regular bichirs senegalus need at least a 40 gal as they only get to 8 inches!!!!

Sorry, but this is terrible advice. They reach a foot often. There's a reason people recommend oscars for 70g instead of 55g; it's just too small.

Ask bichir bro on here. He states that for a senegalus they need at least a 40 gallon I've kept mine in there for years and he eats like a pig and no health problems! I think ur getting them confused with other bichirs like an ornate? If a senegalus needs at least a 70 then an ornate would me at least a 150+ and that's not true

Ask bichir bro on here. He states that for a senegalus they need at least a 40 gallon I've kept mine in there for years and he eats like a pig and no health problems! I think ur getting them confused with other bichirs like an ornate? If a senegalus needs at least a 70 then an ornate would me at least a 150+ and that's not true

You can keep your bichir in a tiny tank if you like but I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom