Advice on Possible Freshwater Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RookieFishOwner

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about getting a freshwater eel when I upgrade from my ten gal, what kind and care would I be looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or a bichir. I think a bichir would be better since there a lot more active and like to come greet u after a while

Most of the commonly available "eels" will be too big for your tank. You could look into a peacock eel. Depending on the tank size, another cool fish to look into is the dojo loach. I have 1 at the moment, and am looking for another. They are wonderful fish.

Dojo loach isn't a bad choice but it doesn't look like an eel. Kinda more like a worm

A yellow tail spiny eel would look nice too but few stores sell them so I would go with the peacock eel.

A few other tips on keeping eels: sand is a must for substrate! Also feeding can be difficult, they may not eat for the first week, and often you have to feed them with a turkey baster or your hand- which can be a problem if you don't have the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom